tree surgeon

fieldsportsman

I'm a self employed tree surgeon, have been for 13 years. Never bothered with fencing and did one he flaying job and swore never again. It's hard to get a start now, colleges are churning loads of lads out. I get people asking for jobs most weeks and quite a few offers of free labour to get there foot in the door. Money isn't fantastic. Your best off trying to get on for United utilities or some one big who will put you through your tickets. In my opinion people with under 3 years experience at climbing aren't fast enough to be profitable, always exceptions though. I pay a top climber £140 a day. He's self employed with 7 years experience, his own saws, climbing kit, lowering kit, PPE and vehicle. Lads on the ground I pay between £75 and £100 self employed depending on experience. Where are you based?

My Dah got alot of trees Toped and a few took down last year, Now don't know what he payed his men but I know was very exspensive. In saying that we had tried a few ourselves and made big work of it were these lads made it look simple. The Boss told us that his insurance is his biggest headache, he said you wouldn't believe the cost...

I've done my cs30/31 last year and I'm still struggling to find a full time job but the work is there so I'm told. It's not a cheap game to get into either I spent about 2 1/2 grand just buying a saw and ppe and my course then I've got my insurance to pay as I work weekends. If you get into the climbing that's even more money to be spent as I've found out recently. But if you enjoy being outside and don't need to earn a fortune give it your best and enjoy it mate

Public liability insurance to cover me in case anything goes wrong. I only work weekends at the moment but the cover is 365 days a year. I would say it doesn't matter if your cutting grass or felling huge trees you should still have insurance cover

is 140 going rate for a climber and 75-100 for ground work. what roles are involved in groundsmen....tree surgeory is something im seriously considering. I have nearly completed my first year at college in countryside management...i may see if a firm will take me on for 1 day a week during the holliday for free to see what its like, all really helpful info

iv been a treesurgeon for the past 5years and overall iv really enjoyed it. started off as a groundsmen now progessed to a climber. wages arnt as good as the seem! 140 a day is a good rate but uv got alot more overheads than other trades that people dont see, with insurance your PPE and climbing kit not to mention saws and blowers ect. and it'l take you a few years experience before your quick enough to earn anything near that. if you can find a company to put you through your tickets ull probs earn around 50/60 a day while training. its bloody hard work and long hours but keeps you fit.