Disabled Olympic Trap Grand Prix

SidneyG

Just thought Id post this up incase its of interest to anyone. We are trying to raise the profile of disabled shotgun shooting around the world. ISSF have put the video below up on their youtube channel. It is of the Olympic trap Grand Prix for disabled shooters which took place at the end of ISSF World cup round in 'Trap Concaverde', Lonato, Italy a couple of weeks ago. GB was well represented, with two shooters making it into flash finals, and one bringing back a silver medal. The ultimate aim is to have Olympic clay disciplines included into the Paralympics. If you know of any disabled shooters that may be interested in giving OT a go in the future please PM me.

Sydney - forgive my ignorance, genuinely curious - do you think that wheelchair trap shooters are at a disadvantage to standing shooters? In my uneducated view, I would have thought this was a sport that both could shoot equally well side by side? Is this why it is not already a Paralympic discipline?

Diceman from what I know, very little, the difference is limited range of movement when seated. Congrats Sidney I had a look for the results but couldn't find them I was chatting to a couple of guys who were heading out and would like to know how they got on

Edited by HDAV

Thanks, Phill, was trying to remain anonymous! lol cover blown :lol:

Diceman, the main problems with shooting from a seated position are range of movement (rotation to hit the more extreme targets) fatigue and target visibility. As we are lower down we only really see a slimmer profile of the clay. Also the higher injuries like myself e.g paralysed from the chest down have very poor balance and core stability resulting in the need to strap ourselves to the wheelchair around the torso, further reducing the range of movement. Means we usually have to attack the target and try to take it earlier, which can result in more misses. Standing disabled include problems like lower limb amputation, which the main drawback is stability and balance. The one armed guys are the best to watch, will blow your mind! Obviously very tricky loading, unloading within the times constraints of olympic trap, and the holding and swinging of a heavy trap gun with just the one arm. Hope this helps, any more questions just keep them coming. :good:

Its not a paralympic discipline yet, but people have been working very hard in the last few years to get it included. Its only in the last 10 years or so disabled shooters have been able to come together, thanks to the Disabled shooters Group, and Sussex Disabled Shooters Group. Before this it was unclear as to how many disabled shooters were out there. This has been a similar story in other countries too.

Hdav, Who were you chatting to? not a couple of guys at SW2000? Results will be published in a couple of days hopefully, will post a link here when they are.

Ah I see, we all flew out together, Steve had a couple of guys that went from his part of the world, Reg and Alan. Alan made the Flash final in the standing disabled category.

Still shooting SW2000 when I can, that and Griffin Lloyd mainly.

Yep its beyond belief , all the hype and build up to this competition, two and a half weeks after its finished we still have no official scores published.

I have managed to get the scores of the two sets of finalists so I'm going to leak them :lol: :

Standing Disabled:

*** Name Country Score ex 125 Final Total

1. Yuri Bregoli Italy 110 19 129

2. Giorgio Marrozzini Italy 104 21 125

3. Vladimir Kopacik Slovakia 104 20 124 + 3

4. Sergio Puerto Ruis Spain 106 18 124 + 2

5. Santo Falanga Italy 105 16 121

6. Alan Paige Great Britain 104 16 120

Seated Disabled:

1. Anthony Brogden New Zealand 106 20 126

2. Mathew Goodwin Great Britain 101 18 119

3. Bruno Busti Italy 92 16 108