An hour in the rain

Ant8681

I was up at 4.30 to feed our little girl this morning, I had plans of shooting before I went to bed but once again it was hammering down with rain! I was desperate to get out as the squirrels were robbing my bait stations and it was the last time for a week or so that I would be able too, what with the ROYAL CORNWALL SHOW, ( as you can tell im quite excited!) and it being my birthday and all that goes with that (family meals etc).

After finishing the feed and a couple of coffees later there was a bit of a break in the rain so I got my gear on and headed off, I didnt expect to see much but I think its just nice to get out that early. Upon arrival there was a chours of woodpigeon but I couldnt see any as the leaves on the trees are now way too dense. I got myself into position by the first bait station and waited, after five minutes a woody landed in the tree directly above me, I could just see its head bobbing around so thinking it would probably be my only chance I took the shot and totaly missed! Ten minutes later a jay landed, I got it in the crosshairs but didnt take the shot as ive not seen any woodpeckers in that part of the wood yet. After ten minutes I decided to check the next bait station, shortly after getting there it started to rain again but just as I was thinking of jacking it in squirrel 34 presented himself on the edge of the table, a second later he was expired on the ground. I thought that would do so picked him and headed back to the car, I checked the first bait station again and there was squirrel 35! I rushed the shot and missed it, he jumped off into a bush so I set myself up quickly again and waited. No more than five minutes later he cautiously came back out, he climed onto the pole of the table then thwack! he joined his mate. It was, by now raining extremely hard so I decided to call it a day and go for some breakfast.

On the way back to the car I noticed a couple of woodpeckers so ill be going back for the jay next week!

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r559/Ant8681/DSC00241.jpg

Nice one! I don't see many squirrel round my permission.

What setup have you got there?

I'm away for the show but there's always next yr!

On this permission its loaded with the the things! Its a hw100 in .22 with a hawke 3-9x50 scope and I use crossman ultra magnums. I know its sad but ive only ever missed 2 shows and that was due to foot and mouth! Even if the weather is this bad tomorrow I will be dragging my wife and kids around with me and they WILL enjoy it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah he's up country and I'm my way to see him now, maybe airgun center.

That's helston gun smiths, my local.

You can actually buy those!

Yeah those tanks: Have a chat to the MOD i think theyve got a few for sale, or treat yourself to a beautiful peice of british engineering like the harrier ;) ;) ;)