Another good bag

motty

After my recent success on a hammered rape field ( bags of 110 and 202), i thought it was time for one last go. The field has recovered a little bit since my last visit and some of the plants have grown 10" in as many days.

The recce yesterday at 2pm looked quite promising. There were plenty of pigeons already feeding and more joining every few seconds. So i invited a friend ( Carl, this time) to share a shot or two.

We arrived at just before 8.30am this morning. Not many pigeons were about,but that didn't matter - it was just a matter of time.

We used the same hide as before, but a different set up. This time we started with a dozen dead birds on cradles and a magnet out next to the taller rape. A turbo flapper was added directly in front of the hide as soon as a suitable looking bird had been shot.

The shooting was very slow to start with, with only about 20 down in the first couple of hours. I had wet feet from standing in the muddy ditch (forgot my wellies) and a few light showers came and went.

By 1pm we had 40 down - still slow going. From the last couple of outings i expected it to start hotting up - thankfully it did!

The pigeons started leaving the woods just in front of us, in small parties. Some came and some flew on past. The birds that were interested decoyed very well and we both shot some good left and rights.

We hit the 100 at bang on 4pm - the second fifty coming in well under 2 hours.

We stayed for a bit and thought it might be a good idea to pack up with the sun still shining.I counted just 2 young birds in the bag.

Another enjoyable day, we shot 108.

post-2090-0-00878100-1339017959.jpg

post-2090-0-36827300-1339017965.jpg