Quad Starter Motor

Alex C

Hi Guys,

After a bit of help.

I bought a cheap quad as a non runner and am on trying to get it started. I have traced it to a problem with the starter i think. I have had it off the bike and hooked it up to a battery charger and nothing happened. I took it to bits and cleaned up all the contacts and tried it again. It turned but very slowly and has now stopped working again.

I have noticed that there is a broken wire in the copper coils, would this stop it working ? Can it be repaired or is it time for a new one ?

The problem i have is i dont want to be throwing money at it unless i know its going to work !! Its not exactly in the best of nick as it stands so cost needs to be kept down.

Cheers for any help

Alex

Hi Alex

Just my thoughts but me and a mate **** about with a cheapo jap or Chinese quad that had electrical issues and ended up getting rid. We are not electrically trained so be mindful of that when reading !

After struggling to id even the make and then the engine/model number it took an age to find spares for it. Eventually did (have link if you need it) and ended up spending a fair bit (more than we paid for the quad). In the end we sold it a got a honda foreman and never looked back. I know these are dearer but they are solid, powerful and spares readily available a reasonably priced. There are usually some old uns on the bay if you are patient. Even old high mileage ones can be fixed up and it is a damn site easier to fix up a Honda rather than an un-known jap one.

What we did learn was that many un named ones are honda engine clones but everso slightly different.

These are just our experiences and I don't wanna start a big debate with folks on here about whats good and whats bad..there are some top jap quads out there that are cheaper than hondas but that is for a reason! Also hondas etc also go wrong so its a personal call.

We found that it was hassle getting bits even once ID the model and that we were in danger of spending a lot of money refreshing a quad of limited value and questionable durability IMHO. Re-sale value of even an older honda (I would expect) be better than a similar age/condition jap one.

Do you know what model you have ?