Hoppers for ducks.

One of my bits of land has a pond which has provided good duck flighting in the past, mainly mallard with the occassional widgeon. I can't get out to feed it as often as it needs, and am thinking about using a hopper; would this work? If so, any advice on the type of hopper would be appreciated. The pond isn't too deep, maybe 2'6", and there is a small island in the middle. Also, should I feed wheat or barley?

One of my bits of land has a pond which has provided good duck flighting in the past, mainly mallard with the occassional widgeon. I can't get out to feed it as often as it needs, and am thinking about using a hopper; would this work? If so, any advice on the type of hopper would be appreciated. The pond isn't too deep, maybe 2'6", and there is a small island in the middle. Also, should I feed wheat or barley?

I used to shoot a pond local to me, I used a wheely bin with the cabela's automatics feeder rigged on it. Inside the bin it had 4 pieces of ply attached at an angle to allow the feed to slide down, and it was raised on 3 legs, a mate gave me the use of it. The timer was set to run just before dark. I used barely to keep costs down, and we had a few good nights shooting.

Nutty

Edited by nuttyspaniel

• 4 months later...

We use floating pallets and this kind of feeders http://www.schmid-futterautomaten.de/index.php?id=9

The combination is perfect in my eyes

We have two ponds one with some released Mallard, the other we don't release.

We just use blue barrels with springs same as we would pheasant positioned a little way off the pond edge.

We always use Barley and have never struggled either keeping or attracting Duck.

If you can get it on the island better still. Less wastage to vermin but no doubt the rats will find it eventually.

We have two ponds one with some released Mallard, the other we don't release.

We just use blue barrels with springs same as we would pheasant positioned a little way off the pond edge.

We always use Barley and have never struggled either keeping or attracting Duck.

If you can get it on the island better still. Less wastage to vermin but no doubt the rats will find it eventually.

HI nickologjam,

may I asked what is the advantage of barley instead of wheat ?

Good question. No doubt you will find lots of theories on this forum.

Ive always believed that ducks find it more palatable than wheat. Although they would give everything up for potatoes!!!

Wheat also tends to put more fat on ducks and they will over eat quite easily. Fat ducks = no flight!!

Potatos smashed and cooked or just raw ?

Your ducks love aoks and peas