A Good read about GSPs

lesf

G'day.

I have been given a 5 year old GSP bitch-trained. I love her to bits. However, I have only ever trained and worked Labs and Spaniels. Can anyone please recommend a good read on the subject so that I can train myself properly so she is not waisted

Cheers LesF

"Training the Pointer Retreiver Gundog" by Micheal Brander :good:

I have 2 GSP's and best advice is take it slow, mine dont like to be pushed too hard! ..... They are not a bit like Spaniels.

i think the big thing with all the HPR's breeds is they are variable even within a single breed, ones a sentitive flower the next an outright thug. The guy has a 5yr old "trained one" so i supose he needs to know what exactly it was "trained" for by the last guy

Thanks for that. It isn't the dog that wants the training, its me!

She ranges and quarters very well. Turns on the whistle. Sits to whistle and shot.

Returns to whistle. I just need to know if I'm doing it right. Apparently there is a useful chap that can be contacted at the North Devon Gun Dog Club.

I've just bought Gun Dog Training Pointing Dogs Book | Kenneth C. Roebuck ...It will do for a start.

cheers Lesf

Edited by lesf

the versatile gundog (training hpr's for gun,rifle and hawk) by guy walace the spotsman press isbn 0 948253 75 4

Guy Wallace' Versatile Gundog is deffo recommended reading imo

A good few used copies come up on 'the bay' now and again ... very informative.

Edited by RedRobin