New permission with pigeon problem....

Gee.

Hi guys,

Just picked up another 1200 acres of permission tonight and have been asked to have a pop at some pigeons which are plaguing a field or two.

Only problem is, ive never shot for pigeon before as most of the farms around my way don't grow crops.

The landowners brother has had a pop at them already but he isnt a pigeon shooter either and lacked decoys and hide.

I have a hide of sorts (camouflage net) but no decoys. Would you guys think the lack of decoys is going to be a problem bearing in mind that there is only these few fields in the area which has any sort of crop on them and the birds are landing on.

I have been told that the birds are coming at first light and mid to late evening.

Any help and advice on this one would be greatly appreciated. :good:

Best advice I could give is offer a day to an experienced shooter who has the gear and possibly no permision. He gets a day on the woodies in return for showing you the ropes.

Vet people well because you will be inundated with volunteers. Make sure they do have experience and insurance.

Otherwise, yes you do need decoys to get the birds to come within ahooting range.

Contact Denny Essex and ask him to email you an excellent document he wrote for pigeon shooter beginners. Loads of useful information to get you started.

Let us know how you get on.

Cos

Cheers guys,

Was considering offering an opportunity to another shooter but I am a bit wary of asking someone I dont know to shoot it with me (Will ask some of the guys at the local sporting shoot on Sunday). Also, I didnt want to get someone's hopes up by offering some shooting as it really is a small crop, next to a busy road and to be honest im unsure as to how 'big a problem' they are actually having. Could turn out to be very unproductive. :hmm:

Anyway, went up there this evening and got 5 (ok, its not a lot but its all I saw.), just sat in a bunch of reeds and shot what came close. Will get some flocked shell decoys and have a play and see what happens. :blink:

Also paid a visit to another permission for 10mins and bagged a bunny and got spotted by a fox which legged it barking like mad. :lol: