footpaths/bridleways

darren m

just looking for confirmation on

can footpaths be used by horse riders

can bridle paths be used by general public ,dog walkers etc

i should know this , had horses many years , we,ve just moved livery and place as a few of each surrounding the farm

cheers

There are also halter paths where horses are supposed to be led on foot not ridden.

I have been wondering whether there is any legal right to exercise dogs on footpaths. We have a couple of paths, one passing through farm buildings, where the fouling is horrendous. The dog warden patrols regularly, there are signs everywhere but it makes no difference. Dogs run through the buildings, including the grain dryer, and yards, there is filth every few feet.

As far as I know a legal right of way only confers a right to cross private land en-route to somewhere else. In theory it ought to be legitimate for land owners to forbid dogs from certain paths at their own discretion without infringing rights-of-way legislation. Anyone know where the law stands on this?

Rights of way legislation is quite complex but BigBangNick has it correct I think.

It is an offence to obstruct a footway/bridleway or to intimidate the users of the path (e.g. Large dog close to path).

Nothing in footpath legisation allows the fouling of the path and if users stray from the path(which is usually 2/3 m wide) they are committing trespass and can be prosecuted under civil law. Footpaths can be re routed by a process involving the local Highway authority and subject to no objections being received, based on the alternative route being 'more commodious) , either nicer to walk or shorter. Footpaths are paths maintained at public expense and should be marked on the local 'definitive footpath map'. All local authorities are required to produce a plan for the maintenance and development of their path network - called a definitive footpath plan.

The most vociferous campaigners to maintain, preserve and develop the footpath networks are the walkers groups e.g. the peak and nothern footpath society who usually contest any changes to the established network. If you need advice about footpaths, talk to the footpaths officer at your local highway authority.

There are also halter paths where horses are supposed to be led on foot not ridden.

I have been wondering whether there is any legal right to exercise dogs on footpaths. We have a couple of paths, one passing through farm buildings, where the fouling is horrendous. The dog warden patrols regularly, there are signs everywhere but it makes no difference. Dogs run through the buildings, including the grain dryer, and yards, there is filth every few feet.

As far as I know a legal right of way only confers a right to cross private land en-route to somewhere else. In theory it ought to be legitimate for land owners to forbid dogs from certain paths at their own discretion without infringing rights-of-way legislation. Anyone know where the law stands on this?

i know what you mean mate , there is a driveway leading down to the stables that is full of dog **** , it makes me really angry , such a lovely place being treated as a **** hole.

i always carry a pocket of poo bags when out and if my dogs mess on a track or path that some one else as to walk on always clear it up . its just the decent thing to do.

Dogs are supposed to be kept under control butall too often they are not. A neighbour of ours has a footpath running across her field where she keeps her horses. Whilst the horses are not bothered by people and just move away, a woman let her dog run loose which then started worrying the horses. When she tried to get the dog back (now well off the footpath) she was kicked badly. She then tried to get compensation but it was thrown out as the horse was only behaving as horses do when threatened.

Nick

You cannot ride a horse on a footpath, you can walk on a bridleway. You cannot mountain bike on either (you wouldn't think so) nor can you take a horse drawn vehicle on a bridleway, it is for ridden horses only. Dogs must be under close control, on any public footpath/bridleway and must also be wearing a collar or tag bearing the owners contact details.(Control of Dogs Order 1992)