Flight pond

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of building a pond in the near future and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I was thinking of making it ~20 metres in length and i'm not too sure on width. The area where i'm thinking of putting if would suite a kidney shaped pond. I was thinking of having a small island in the middle any advice on the best size for this? Depth is an issue i'm not too sure on i'm aware it doesn't was to be deep around the edges eg 5-10 inches for feeding but not too sure what the best depth would be for the rest. The land where i would situate it is a heavy clay soil which often floods and seems to hold water well. It is also near a gutter which i would think could be used as an inflow/overflow?

Anyone with any picture/diagrams or links would be much appreciated.

For dabling duck its better about a single spade blade depth - If you can keep water in it that is deeper in areas if not. Inflow and outflow is great as is an island as it allows them to settle for periods safer from foxes etc. slope the edges as it encourages vegitation to grow the ducks feed on this and allows the duck to walk in and out at their ease.

Good luck, let us know how it goes i will be doing another here in a year among the willows as many think a few small heavilly copiced trees help

For dabling duck its better about a single spade blade depth - If you can keep water in it that is deeper in areas if not. Inflow and outflow is great as is an island as it allows them to settle for periods safer from foxes etc. slope the edges as it encourages vegitation to grow the ducks feed on this and allows the duck to walk in and out at their ease.

Good luck, let us know how it goes i will be doing another here in a year among the willows as many think a few small heavilly copiced trees help

So do you think it would be best to slope the edges so it just gets gradually deeper as apposed to a sheer drop/ a well defined edge. I've also heard its good to have an uneven edge creating lots of little coves?

my one bit of advice would be to make the pond as big as you can in the space provided . i say this after we extended our (new last year) pond to twice the size we first planned , this will save you having to disturbing the pond again to extend it . happy duck shooting

So the bigger the better really. Does the size correlate to the numbers your likely to pull in? Also if in the future if I thought about letting off a few ducks would it need to be a minimum size to hold them?

So do you think it would be best to slope the edges so it just gets gradually deeper as apposed to a sheer drop/ a well defined edge. I've also heard its good to have an uneven edge creating lots of little coves?

yes and coves give more edges (circumference) dont they now. all i can say on size is i have seen hundreds of wild duck drawn to a timy flash in the grass that was just right to feed on and nothing to a big one that was all mud, too deep with sharp edges. The ideal of course would be the bigger one with all the bits correct- Not to mention location

yes and coves give more edges (circumference) dont they now. all i can say on size is i have seen hundreds of wild duck drawn to a timy flash in the grass that was just right to feed on and nothing to a big one that was all mud, too deep with sharp edges. The ideal of course would be the bigger one with all the bits correct- Not to mention location

Well we often get a few ducks down in the gutter and when it floods theres quite a few turn up so hopefully location should be ok. I suppose it will all become clear when its built :good: