Nissan Terrano/Maverick

ziplex

Morning Gentlemen...................

Any of you guys experience either of the above?, I've been looking at these as they appear good value for a basic 4x4, only be used weekends for the ferrying of the Springers, for going fishing, and the occasional foray across land, with any ammount of luck! I've had a look at a few Disco's but they aren't up to much in comparison with these, (pound for pound). I'm not after full blown test type anylasis here, just any obvious inherent faults to look out for/if atall.

Incidentally, if anyone might be interested, i'm looking to PX out my '02 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom with money my way. (weird name I know, it's a bike before you ask)!

• 2 weeks later...

[i've got an ex police x reg 2000 model and it has covered over 100,000 and still going strong. Generally these seem pretty rugged apart from the trim which is not very strong, air vents in particular and door trim are vunerable to abuse. I have heard that electic fuel pumps can fail and are expensive. Check for smokey engines. They need oil change every 6000 miles so they can get abused. Check 4wd engages/disingages. You could look for a cheap ex police one at Witney car auctions if you dont mind white. I may sell mine soon and buy a newer one with aircon so if your interested.

Thanks Blue fields..........seems the general concensus is much as you've said. I am still trying to sell the damn V Strom, good bike but nobody wants. (only in local free ad's paper tho', shouldn't be so tight and pay for a better ad' I suppose)! :drool:

I won't say i'm intersted in yours as 1, need to sell bike first and 2, still waiting for SGC outcome. Without both sorted I won't be indulging. In the lap of the gods I think.

Duncan.

Get the nissan rather than the ford Ziplex.

LB

The Maverick and the Terrano are one and the same. the 2.8 TD engine is the better choice. If you can get the Intercooler version so much the better. The Nissan Engines fitted in both will run to very high mileages and dont seem to mind the odd missed oil change. I found the Mavericks low range coupled with All terrain tyres got me just about anywhere. Dont be suprised if the model veers slightly to the left under really heavy breaking this is seems to be an inbuilt fault. One good thing about them is that they have a timing chain rather than a belt which doesnt need periodically replacing. It may get a bit rattley on high milers but its not too much to worry about.

There are some reasonably priced models around which are sensible mileage if you can get one sub 100k say about 70k it will just about be run in. Engine smoke on start up is quite common and may not always be sign of worn rings however if it doesnt dissapear after a few second and is particulaly bad under load then walk away whatever the mileometer reads.

Very popular with the Horsey types for towing boxes and theese are usually neglected. The engine is basic but the nissan built powerplant is extremely reliable.

Cheers.

FM.

Get the nissan rather than the ford Ziplex.

LB

The Maverick and the Terrano are one and the same. the 2.8 TD engine is the better choice. If you can get the Intercooler version so much the better. The Nissan Engines fitted in both will run to very high mileages and dont seem to mind the odd missed oil change. I found the Mavericks low range coupled with All terrain tyres got me just about anywhere. Dont be suprised if the model veers slightly to the left under really heavy breaking this is seems to be an inbuilt fault. One good thing about them is that they have a timing chain rather than a belt which doesnt need periodically replacing. It may get a bit rattley on high milers but its not too much to worry about.

There are some reasonably priced models around which are sensible mileage if you can get one sub 100k say about 70k it will just about be run in. Engine smoke on start up is quite common and may not always be sign of worn rings however if it doesnt dissapear after a few second and is particulaly bad under load then walk away whatever the mileometer reads.

Very popular with the Horsey types for towing boxes and theese are usually neglected. The engine is basic but the nissan built powerplant is extremely reliable.

Cheers.

FM.

Well that's pretty comprehensive............thanks for that FM.

Note that the Nissan and the Ford were built in the same factory, so build quality is identical to both. Nissan has a reputation for reliability, so people pay more for the Nissan than they will the Ford. Ford stopped selling a few years back, at which point a better 3.0TD was added to the range. If you are looking at Ford/Nissan era vehicles the Ford will be cheaper, despite being exactly the same vehicle.

I used to sell these when they first came out and they are VERY capable vehicles. SWB has a very choppy ride and is less popular. LWB is a real work horse.

Nissans are good and we've had a Terrano Van for four years, relatively trouble free.

Pretty good off road and lots of grunt.

Downside....

The dealers are the most useless disinterested bunch of ***ts that I've ever come across. You'd think they were doing you a special favour just to take it in for servicing.

As for getting a new vehicle quote from them, yawn, seven months later and I'm still waiting for them to call back :good: