Rat pads - like the mink rafts

30-6

What materials do i use to make something to monitor rat movement ? Like the mink raft type of thing, what can i use that will not dry out to capture their footprints. I can put it in an old tray or something and put it under some sort of cover, but don't know what to use that will stay wet / moist enough over a couple of days.

I didn't mean to use a raft, but was asking what material could be used for leaving footprints in. Just googled tracking powder and seems it is a poison as well, perhaps i could use flour under some sort of cover. Where i want to use it is a farmhouse outbuilding (which is attached to the actual farmhouse where they keep firewood) but open with no doors and dry stone walls and has rats, in the paddock next door is 2 pet pigs and 2 pet goats and about 30 + chickens in 5 coops. I can see a run in the grass from this outbuilding, but cannot see any evidence around the coops, but they must be there. Anything i use must be none toxic.

Another thing i have considered is just observing with a low light for an hour or two, to see if i can actually see any movement.

I didn't mean to use a raft, but was asking what material could be used for leaving footprints in. Just googled tracking powder and seems it is a poison as well, perhaps i could use flour under some sort of cover. Where i want to use it is a farmhouse outbuilding (which is attached to the actual farmhouse where they keep firewood) but open with no doors and dry stone walls and has rats, in the paddock next door is 2 pet pigs and 2 pet goats and about 30 + chickens in 5 coops. I can see a run in the grass from this outbuilding, but cannot see any evidence around the coops, but they must be there. Anything i use must be none toxic.

Another thing i have considered is just observing with a low light for an hour or two, to see if i can actually see any movement.

Flour would work.