decoys pigeon shooting

Shahin

Hi,

Never used decoys when shooting pigeons, ive always done rough shooting.

Ive read that there has to be pigeons in the field etc. is this 100% true?

what are my chances if I place the pigeons correctly amongst the fields where there is no food? will the pigeons still fall for the decoys?

Cheers

Hi,

what are my chances if I place the pigeons correctly amongst the fields where there is no food? will the pigeons still fall for the decoys?

Cheers

they just mite you never no till you try lots of people decoy onto field behind where they feed

Hi,

Cheers

Hi Shahin.

welcome to PW.

I will add my 2 penn'orth.

Instead of just plonking your butt down and hoping to get birds to come in I suggest you take a note pad and pen and if possible a good pair of binoculars and sit and watch closely and make notes.

Weather - sunnny or cloudy

Wind- , still, windy.

Directions IN & OUT of the field(the birds that is)

Do this 2 or 3 times at least and also at different times of the day. morning and night and when you see a pattern emerging then plonk your butt down.

DO NOT be afraid to move your hide if nothing is happening and move with the flight-line if that changes.

we spend many hours driving round our shoots , "clocking" all of the time and not just at weekends.

This will eventually give you your reward.

:good:

Dave K

Hi Dave,

Thanx for the advice.

Sorry if I sound rude now but where do you and everybody else find the time to do this? do you live on the land that you shoot on?

its just where I shoot is about 30 mins drive away and I work from the 8-5 so by the time i finish work, get freshend up its to late and dark.

Ive just got permission to shoot on 11 hundred acres. hopefully this will pay off as it is closer to me and I can spend more time on the fields, woodland etc.

Thanx again

Shahin

Hi Dave,

Thanx for the advice.

Sorry if I sound rude now but where do you and everybody else find the time to do this? do you live on the land that you shoot on?

its just where I shoot is about 30 mins drive away and I work from the 8-5 so by the time i finish work, get freshend up its to late and dark.

Ive just got permission to shoot on 11 hundred acres. hopefully this will pay off as it is closer to me and I can spend more time on the fields, woodland etc.

Thanx again

Shahin

Shahin, I'm in the process of getting my SGC and I've been shooting only a handful of times with a mate who has explained things along the way. I did get a book 'The Pigeon Shooter' by John Batley (from Play.com) and found it both fascinating and very imformative...and I might add of more use than my mate! I think all on here who have read it will thoroughly rec'd you read it as it is very good!

HTH

Duncan.

Hi Dave,

Thanx for the advice.

Thanx again

Shahin

No we don.t live on any shoot and I work 6.30am - 6.00pm just like most of the boys on here.

It.s called dedication and I would suggest trying to visit your permission after work and don't go home first.

And there is all weekend to drive round.

We have some shoots an hour away from where we live and even the one's 15-20mins away we drive round for 3-4hours sometimes before we even get out of the jeep.

Dave K