northern ireland woodcock

scooby -doo

was out the last two saturdays and we were dogging a bit of ground 2 saturdays ago, that we could not shoot (not safe)but thought some of our pheasants where, and we flushed six woodcock. We proceeded to our own ground to hunt and flushed one. Last Saturday we only flushed one woodcock. Full moon in so hopefully more about shortly.

I was told that they are on higher ground at the moment, can those that are flushing plenty confirm or deny. I didnt get out myself at the weekend but another guy told me they only flushed 5 , which was near the lough so low lying ground.

I was on both high and low ground on Saturday. Most of the birds we flushed were on low ground, but I would say it will depend what area you are in. The weather is not nearly hard enough yet, we need a bit of hard frost to push the bulk of the birds out of the forestry.

I was told that they are on higher ground at the moment, can those that are flushing plenty confirm or deny. I didnt get out myself at the weekend but another guy told me they only flushed 5 , which was near the lough so low lying ground.

Birds are well scattered between high and low ground. The few nights frost last week seemed to push more birds to low ground. I had 12 on my own on saturday just a few hundred meters from the river bann no more than 150ft above sea level.

That was the height this guy said to me that they are all to be found around 150 ft above sea level, I though t it a bit strange. I was out on low lying ground week before last and raised only one so hope to get out for an hour during week to see if there are any more about.

• 4 weeks later...

Been out a few times over December and a poor showing of woodcock hope you guys had more sightings than me.

Weather is very mild and with all the rain I find the birds are sticking to high ground. I have had a couple of good days, a couple of poor ones but I haven't blanked this year so can't complain.