she is letting me have a new toy !!!!!

pigeon pete

hi all ,the wife said i can have £500 for a new toy ,i used to have a howa 1500 in 223 but had to sell it a few years back to put funds back into the home !! broke my hart ,i would still love to get one ,and having a look at all the gun sites ive been looking at the browning A bolt ,can anyone give me any feed back on them or on any other rifle around this price ,but not on the CZ i do like the CZ but only in the .22 and 17 hmr which i also own

cheers

PP

hi mate

i had a browning A-bolt, i got on really well with it shot loads of foxes with it, really light rifle...the only problem i had was the mag was abit hard to un-load and the trigger was abit hard...apart from that it was a good foxing tool...

have a look at a second hand tikka maybe, or a x-bolt...dont rule out the a-bolt tho like i said was a really good all round foxing tool i had mine in 223 and used sako 55grn arrow head rounds and the rifle loved it.

rich.

Edited by archie1234

Fired the A-Bolt and the X-Bolt a couple of days ago. First impressions were it felt skinny, didn't look as aesthetically pleasing as a lot of other similarly priced rifles and had a very heavy factory trigger. The magazines were also very awkward to load/unload. The X-Bolt on the other hand felt superb and had a nice crisp trigger. It also looked the part. If you bought the A-Bolt, the money saved over the X-Bolt would enable you to lighten the trigger and get an aftermarket stock fitted (depending on how much you have to spend of course). Those two modifications would make the A-Bolt a fantastic gun.

hi mate

i had a browning A-bolt, i got on really well with it shot loads of foxes with it, really light rifle...the only problem i had was the mag was abit hard to un-load and the trigger was abit hard...apart from that it was a good foxing tool...

have a look at a second hand tikka maybe, or a x-bolt...dont rule out the a-bolt tho like i said was a really good all round foxing tool i had mine in 223 and used sako 55grn arrow head rounds and the rifle loved it.

rich.

thanks has it got an adjustable trigger?

Fired the A-Bolt and the X-Bolt a couple of days ago. First impressions were it felt skinny, didn't look as aesthetically pleasing as a lot of other similarly priced rifles and had a very heavy factory trigger. The magazines were also very awkward to load/unload. The X-Bolt on the other hand felt superb and had a nice crisp trigger. It also looked the part. If you bought the A-Bolt, the money saved over the X-Bolt would enable you to lighten the trigger and get an aftermarket stock fitted (depending on how much you have to spend of course). Those two modifications would make the A-Bolt a fantastic gun.

thanks bud

PP, I would take the £500 and hold on to it until you could add a bit more and go for the X-BOLT. I was in the market a couple of months ago for a new 300 win mag and wanted a Sako but was told it would be a 5 month wait as they were now on special order. As with most of us I was keen to have a new gun and decided that I would see what was on offer. To cut a long story short I bought an X-Bolt due to only having to wait a week until it arrived. I have to say that my plan was that if I did not like it or get on with it I would order a Sako and use the X-Bolt until it arrived.

After using the X-Bolt for a couple of months I am very happy indeed with it. I got the hunter model in wood and find that it is a pleasing rifle to use. The trigger is nice and is adjustable and the mag is nice and easy to use indeed it has about a 5mil available space for when I want to start working on the OAL when I get the reloading going. The safey cach system is great and the bolt can be used when it is set at safe by depressing the bolt release button on the bolt handle. The bolt has a 60 degree lift and although not the smoothest is easy to use and I am sure that after a few more rounds it will get better. I would look at the synthetic stalk as well as they have a very pleasant feel to them, I think it is called Duratouch. Depending on which calabre you are interested in I am sure you will get a decent deal. I think I got mine for £680 cash.