Help required please

Hi folks,

I'm about to start reloading my own ammo with cases from rounds i have bought new. Hornady .204 to be exact.

I've read and watched lots of info to help me. But i have a couple of questions.

Firstly, why do i need to clean my rounds to the degree that i need a "Tumbler". Rather than just fine cleaning the outside of the case/brass with fine wire wool or a "scotch pad"? I'm aware that the primer hole needs cleaning and to check the case for defects, like cracks in the neck. To name an example.

A, or some reasons would be appreciated.

Well you seem to have sussed that out about right Jamie - There are plenty more important things in the reloading line to spend your money on than a fancy tumbler when you get started. Scotch bright will do nicely to get you going and spend you next hundred pounds on measuring equipment like a reasonable beam scale, digital calipers, micrometer etc. I'm not saying there isn't a place for a tumbler, I have a rotary tumbler with stainless steel media which is the bees knees and it's nice to have blingy brass with little effort but using scotch bright you get to inspect each case as you do it.

I'm not keen on using wire wool no matter how fine it is. Little strands float about your bench and you will find that the damping magnets on your scales pick up every bit.

With the dinky 204 type cases you might think about a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Maplins along with the seagreen cleaner agent

Well you seem to have sussed that out about right Jamie - There are plenty more important things in the reloading line to spend your money on than a fancy tumbler when you get started. Scotch bright will do nicely to get you going and spend you next hundred pounds on measuring equipment like a reasonable beam scale, digital calipers, micrometer etc. I'm not saying there isn't a place for a tumbler, I have a rotary tumbler with stainless steel media which is the bees knees and it's nice to have blingy brass with little effort but using scotch bright you get to inspect each case as you do it.

I'm not keen on using wire wool no matter how fine it is. Little strands float about your bench and you will find that the damping magnets on your scales pick up every bit.

With the dinky 204 type cases you might think about a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Maplins along with the seagreen cleaner agent

Cheers Fellas :good: