Help needed with a problem reloading my .204 rounds

Hiya,

I started reloading my .204 ,and hornet with digi scales,i would'nt trust em as far as i could chuck a house, i use the

RCBS 5-0-5,cracking scale,never heard a good word on the lee one's,,,,and as i said i dont really trust digi,,,,get some RCBS balance scale's,

cant be beat,

Just curious as to what powder your reloading,at 28g,,must be for 32g sbk or v max i take it,????

Dump the lee's,,the dies are usually spot,,

Ian

Apologies for no response folks.

I've been busy practicing but also forgot to click the "follow this topic"

Thanks for all the advice, especially the pictures "livefast123" :good:

I took the lee scales back for a replacement set. A reloader in the rfd agreed they wouldn't hold there zero all the time.

The 2nd set are only slightly better...

I'm now in touch and being shown the ropes by a friend who's an experienced reloader and lives 1 mile away from me!! Whats the chances of that!?

Anyhow, i've been sticking with the lee's of late as at least i'm getting consistancy. I'm also sticking to the low end of the grain range to, just to keep things as safe as possible.

I'm using Hogdons BL-C (2) and 32 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets. The rounds group well so i must be getting something right. But probably more down to the consistancy...

And for better or worse i've just ordered some Hornady GS 1500 scales, and will also be upgrading my beam scales at some point to.

Cheers again folks.

Jamie

I just wanted to add something, incase someone else has the same or similar problem.

Not liking being defeated, i had another look at the lee beam scales today, trying to work out why they wouldn't hold the zero.

I believe, in my case that the small spring that is over the screw and supposed to be keeping the zeroing wheel/poise taught was way to weak. Leaving the wheel loose enough to move around slightly when setting them up for powder weight. I replaced it with a very similar spring from one of the wifes pens. SORTED! It now holds a zero. :thumbs:

I was also finding that my powder measure was dispenser around half to a grain short most of the time. Obvious really, but for the bennefit of others. When i had sorted my desired measure using the measuring rod and thimble i was then winding both in while held together, but too tightly against the metering chamber. When i wind it in now i only do it until it just touches the metering chamber. According to the lee scales it is now dropping a perfect load 8 out of 10 times. And then only being a few points of a grain out.

Happy days!

Thanks again folks :good:

Hiya,

Glad you got sorted mate,once you get your load's sorted you will be flying,i run the 32g sbk's..34g dogtown's..35g berger's and the 39g sbk's through my Howa1500,all are acurate,and all within 1 click for bull,finishing the 39 sbk's of then moveing onto the 35g berger's.just scored 500 of them for £94,then onto the 34g dogtown's,got me a few hundred comeing from the states with any luck,no or very little dif in zero between the two,only popping them out to around 250 to 300 yds,but boy do they hit hard,

enjoy your 204,it's a cracking tool,get a good mod on her and i think she is quieter than the hmr,enjoy.

Ian