Encouraging Snipe (Dried blood?)

Teal

I have read regularly about blood being put onto marshes to encourage greater numbers of snipe, I think it is perhaps related to blood encouraging worms and other invertebrates and therefore increasing feed value of the marsh. However, although the shooting media and old hands talk about it, details seems scarce. My particular questions, are times of the year for spreading, how much to apply etc...

• 2 weeks later...

There is much written about this in old books, never known it done and in all probability it would be illegal for some reason or another in the modern world.

The best snipe marshes tend to be cattle grazed with plenty pock marking by feet and loads of dung to hold moisture and encourage invertebrates. Rough tussocky grazing and clumps of rush etc. are all good.

Thanks for the reply hillmouse, that is what we are doing at present, had a great day shooting recently, so it seems to be working. I think minimizing disturbance is also very important. You can buy dried blood as fertilizer so I'm not sure it would be illegal, but will stick to grazing it for now.

• 4 weeks later...

There is much written about this in old books, never known it done and in all probability it would be illegal for some reason or another in the modern world.

The best snipe marshes tend to be cattle grazed with plenty pock marking by feet and loads of dung to hold moisture and encourage invertebrates. Rough tussocky grazing and clumps of rush etc. are all good.

Agree with hillmouse