oilseed rape

woody swacker

been watching a field of rape for the past 2 weeks, and theres been a steady build up of numbers appearing tbe feeding on it for the best part of the day.the only way you can get at these birds is getting the farmer to plant me some bales in the middle of the field., which he duly obliged earlier in the week. saturday has came so had the rain and not a breath of wind. i waited till 10.30 for the rain to ease and off i went.on turning up about 100 birds were busy feeding and very reluctant to leave. i set up a net in the front of the bale hide set up the rotary with 2 birds out of the freezer and 4 plastics and set back for the battle to comnence. birds came immediately and did so for the next 3 hrs in groups of between 5-10. every bird determined to fet in the deeks. pulled sticks at 2.45 and picked up 115 .. been a while since i, ve had birds so detemined to get on the deeks even after a shot birds kept coming to the deeks from about 150 yds away . lets hope this is the start of a good winter.