Looking to have a go at pigeon shooting

Major Misfit

Looking to try and go pigeon shooting in the next week or so. Usually rough shoot but fancy giving it a go since enjoying eating pigeon the other week. Prob is an on a limited budget have some cam net a few poles of sorts and some NRA fud decoys and that's it. Is this enough or do I need to go buy out my local gun shop.

What do the successful shooters do with their bag of pigeons? Have only ever had a few at a time have eaten them myself or in the dog but what do guys that end up with loads do with them.

Cheers

i am looking to having a go at the pigeons myself shortly,if i get my shotgun cert through,interview 31/12/12, anyway i diverse,i take my rabbits to the game dealer and theres a bloke comes in there with boxes of pigeons so if your lucky enough to get a few take them to the game dealer, i think there about 30p-50p a bird

atb dave

6-12 decoys is enough for you to get started and perhaps you can make a couple of floaters/bouncers. Add to your decoy pattern after you get a few dead birds by placing them in the pattern and using a stick to prop their heads up. Here is what I do.

you want the wind on your back or to your cheeks (face cheeks) if you cant get it on your back.

1- spend time building your hide in a part of the field that you can see pigeons feeding on on the day before or where you see them using as a flightline.

2- Make sure your hide is big enough to be comfortable in but not to big as this will make you easier to be seen by pigeons

3- keep the sides high enough to stop you being seen and front lower so when you stand up to shoot you can mount the gun easily without the net being to high.

4- When I build my hide I use to net at the front with the first one at chest height and the second one drooped behind it (inside of hide) to leave it for me to view the birds coming in easier.

Heres an example (excuse the drawing)

light greenis main front net all the way up and dark green is showing the drooped effect while seated.7net.jpg

5- most of all stay completely still when the birds are coming in as the movement will scare them move than anything else, stand up and shoot when the birds have reached within range and with there wings closed.

6- Pace out to 25 yards and put your decoys out in a horseshoe shape with the closed end facing into the wind, remember that the birds will need to come into the opened end so there needs to be plenty of space for them to do this. the empty space in the middle should be about 20 yards or so wide.

when setting the decoys out pace 2 to 3 steps between each decoy and place most of them with there heads into the wind. here is beardo's thread with a great guide to patterns etc

http://forums.pigeon...-decoy-pattern/

remember to have decoys with both heads up and down in feeding position.

recap: keep still in the hide and dont jump up to shoot until they have reached well within range or you'll spook them and they'll take of like rockets

hope this helps and if I can think of anything else that I have learned I will post it

have a watch at this dvd, there is 4 parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC-aBfCuWDY&feature=g-upl

Edited by Mr Rizzini