creating cover in woodland?

I have just taken on a small farm on which i am going to be setting up a small DIY shoot next year. We have 5 drives pretty much already made however 2 of the smaller woodland shaws are quite bare inside with very little or non-existant ground cover to hold birds. We are hoping to get a 10 metre strip of maize along the top of this shaw but were also wondering the best way to create some instant cover in the wood for next season. Will coppicing and letting light in cause anything to grow naturally for next year or is planting something another option?

Ideas please?

Normally, cover will grow naturally if there is enough light.

I would look into thinning the woods out. See the FC website for details of whether you need a felling license (you shouldn't, but always good to check).

I seem to remember that you can cut 5 cubic metres of wood in a calendar quarter, but you can only sell 2 or 3 cubic metres.

A calendar quarter is 3 months. If you cut 5 cubic metres in march, you could cut another 5 in april, for example.

Could be wrong on some of that, so, as I said, check the FC website.

Having done a lot of thinning recently, i would say it takes 3 years for the brambles to grow enough to make cover, in a nice big opening in a wood. Cutting a thinner ride a little longer.

I would suggust, like al4x, to stack the cuttings to stop the deer, and thats been the biggest problem. Can do it over the top of the stumps you leave or any brambles you can find to protect the new growth or help the brambles grow up through. The other option is stack in rows on the prevailing wind side of the wood to add warmth. Even if nothing grows up you will still improve it for game, less wind, more sunshine. Or cutting out the flushing points on drives.

An Electric company cleared a whole stretch in 1 wood under some wires 20 either side. Compensated us well, but will actually improve the wood in the long run.