pond near the farm house

pg123

Hi I was hoping someone with a bit of experience could advise me on a flight pond.

Next year I have chance of taking on a small pond for duck flighting. The pond is only small (about the size of 2 semi's on a modern housing development) and is only about 50m from the farm house. The pond is at least at the rear of the farm and most of the day to day activity takes place at the front so the pond is fairly quiet. Being so close to the farm would wild birds come near??

I was thinking of releasing half a dozen call ducks and setting up an auto feeder in the hope of creating a small duck shoot for 2 or 3 guns for next year. Within about a mile as the crow fly's (should that say duck??) there is 3 reservoirs so there should be a few ducks around to draw in.

Thanks in advance and merry christmas to all :santa:

Hi

Put some barley in the shallows of your pond and see if you can attract some duck.

As soon as you start to see feathers floating about on the water you will know if there has been any duck visiting.

Once duck start coming in they will start to bring others with them.Dont leave any barley on the ground as you will attract rats which will not please the farmer.

If the pond is quiet and not disturbed too often the ducks should be okay.

Give it a try,there is still a month left of the season you might get a shot at a duck before the season ends.

All the best

Hendo

Edited by Hendo

Hi

Put some barley in the shallows of your pond and see if you can attract some duck.

As soon as you start to see feathers floating about on the water you will know if there has been any duck visiting.

Once duck start coming in they will start to bring others with them.Dont leave any barley on the ground as you will attract rats which will not please the farmer.

Give it a try,there is still a month left of the season you might get a shot at a duck before the season ends.

All the best

Hendo

Thanks. I did feed a small amount of wheat but not seen anything yet. Trouble is I only get round there every couple of weeks.

Don't worry about daytime activity, you don't want ducks there in the daytime. You want them driven away every morning to their roost so they bring back a few mates in the evening. Try to make sure they are not disturbed after dark. This might be difficult, being so close to the farmhouse, especially if there are dogs.

Hi

All the best

Hendo

Nothing to add to that advice, take note