.44 Remington 1858 New Model Army in action

Livefast123

Well I finally managed to get down the range to use my .44 Remington 1858 New Model Army in anger and it certainly didn't let me down. I decided to use 20 grains of Triple 7, a wonderwad and a .454 round ball and the results were delightful, lots of bang, smoke and a muzzle flame!

I remember now why I like black powder so much!

Edited by Livefast123

I didn't really try for accuracy, I was more interested in having a bit of fun with load bangs and flame!, having said that I got all the shots onto a circular target drawn onto an A4 size bit of cardboard. The regulars seemed to think this was good considering it was my first time and I hadn't developed a load

When I go next time i'll benchrest it and see what it can do, i'm already planning my next pistol (Colt Walker!) or maybe a Hawken rifle

These guns are great fun to shoot, certainly draw a crowd with the smoke and flame, I have four blackpowder pistols including an Uberti 1858 copy of the Remington. If you note the odd shape of the cut out where you load the balls, the original pistol worked very well accuracy wise when a conical type bullet was used, hence the cut out shape.

You could at one time get these bullets made by a company called Buffalo, but I`ve not seen them around for ages, the Italian copies tend to shoot a little high at 25m (before you go filing the front sight have a play about with various loads).

I have fired .45 semi wad cutter bullet heads with good effect in mine, @ £7 per hundred rather cost effective compared to lead balls.

Are we talking about something like this with the .45 bullet heads? :-

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_165_166&products_id=1293

Mine is an Uberti and I certainly plan to get a few more black powder pieces, I like the involved loading process and is so much more fun than just raining lead down the range with the .22LR. I'll try for an accurate load at the range the next time I go and i've been instructed that I should shoot in the correct one handed 'cowboy' style lol.

I would love to cast my own but with young kids in the house and not much room it isn't really an option, I'll keep my eyes out for the holy grail...ie a local caster with reasonable prices!

You dont do it indoors-you'd be dead with lead poisoning within 12 months! I do it outdoors on patio then choose a day when its dry (even the most tiniest amount of water reacts violently with molten lead). I use dirty range lead for 357 which is already hardcast,but smokes very badly so a mask and staying upwind is critically important. For soft lead for use with ball i sort out all the slug which gets used at the range. Much cheaper than buying them.