Knowledge required about old rifle

Big Dog

Hi guys I was talking to a very old man who used to be in the home guard. He says he knows where there is an old military rifle that would have been used at the turn of the last century, late 1800' early 1900's. It is bigger calibre than 303 but he doesn't know what calibre it is other than you don't need a FAC for it as you no longer can buy or load ammo for it. Has a big ball type bit on the bolt **** from what I picked up.

Not a lot of detail but does anyone know what this gun might be???

If it's an 8mm Lebel, here's some information on it:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/8mm_lebel.htm

you don't need a FAC for it as you no longer can buy or load ammo for it

I definitely wouldn't take that on trust, without checking with you local Firearms Licensing Authority. The ammo is certainly obsolete, but if it's a Lebel it's a centrefire and wouldn't generally be classed as an antique.

Thanks fof the info guys. It is making me more curious about this gun. I will try to get more info on it and maybe even see if I can smooth talk myself into seeing it and I will let you know what come of it.

At the range on Saturday I shot a 1935 8mm German Mauser, WoW! what a kick on the shoulder. How did those young men shoot these steel butt plate things repeatedly :good::D .

The man who owned it said that in the war when they want to know who the prisioners were our how to define those as German who were trying to plend in to other etc, I think he said the Brits got the men to take of their shirts and the one with the brused shoulders were taken as Germans prisioner.

Anyway thanks