crow shooting

BenBhoy

hi fellas.

not been on here for a bit, busy busy.

got some new permission. very little pigeon activity but literally overrun with crows, rooks and jackdaws. so many that i thought a spot of decoying would be easy....not so!! they are so spoilt for choice as to where to feed and there are too many flightlines to pin point. any advice? got couple of flocked crow deeks, any patterns that work best on black 'uns?

also, there is an area with a line of trees which seems to be their favourite hang out area during the day. have heard about putting a bird of prey decoy in clear sight near an area like this and wait for crows to mob it; anyone tried this, or heard of any success with it?

I've never had any success with Owl decoys etc. I use decoys and a Primos Power Crow caller. This brings the birds (especially Jackdaw's) in close enough to shoot. I always use the dead birds as decoys, by inserting wooden canes through their vent, into the beak, and placing them with the other decoys. An excellent bit of kit in my opinion, is a flapper, again, when after Jackdaw's. I place two flappers approx 15-20 yards from the decoys, and facing into them.

Steve.

Great advice. Your field craft has to be spot on for corvids, if they see you their gone.

I agree with the above. Corvids have far better eye sight than pigeons, which, in turn, have far better eye sight than humans. Also Crows are very intelligent birds, and if something does'nt look right, even a decoy pointing the wrong way, they won't commit to landing where you want them. Another thing, keep very still until the last moment.

thanks guys. going to try this afternoon, will let you all know. i purchased a Primos on your reccomendation steve a while back, certainly a handy bit of kit, thanks.

The Primos caller is, in my opinion, the best Corvid caller on the market, and can do everything, and more, that a caller costing 3 times as much can do.

evening all. not a bad crack at them, though i think it was more down to doing some homework and where i positioned myself, rather than the decoys, but i guess thats all part of it too. finished up with 9 crows, 7 jackdaws and a rook.

there is acutally purpose to me doing it - i've noticed some wild grey partridge at work, so want to get on top of some preadators before spring time to try help boost chick numbers. think will have to invest in larsen trap and keep shooting to try get on top of crows. thanks again for advice.