Low Tech Power Testing

justme

Hi All,

Is there a way to test the power of an airgun without using a chrongraph? Some easy to reproduce low tech method like say so many sheets of the yellow pages at so many yards = x ftlb?

The reason I ask is the rifle I have just purchased even without having filled it yet as still waiting for an adapter has managed to put a pellet straight through a 3/4 inch bit or wood at about 20 yards & thats after I have fired about 30 rounds already (trying not to fire to many as I have heard that once the gun gets down to 50 bar its a pain to hand pump it).

Justme

Hi All,

Is there a way to test the power of an airgun without using a chrongraph? Some easy to reproduce low tech method like say so many sheets of the yellow pages at so many yards = x ftlb?

The reason I ask is the rifle I have just purchased even without having filled it yet as still waiting for an adapter has managed to put a pellet straight through a 3/4 inch bit or wood at about 20 yards & thats after I have fired about 30 rounds already (trying not to fire to many as I have heard that once the gun gets down to 50 bar its a pain to hand pump it).

Justme

ERM...........NO.

Hi All,

Justme

ERM...........NO.

Take it to a gun dealers, they will do it

There are too many variables; Pellet shape, weight, lead purity, is the target damp? (pellets penetrate dry timber or paper further) to name but a few. Take your rifle to your local gunshop and get it tested there or buy a chrono you can get a Combro for less then £40.

Having just had the adapter arrive I can see the gun was fully charged when I got it. It had about 150bar in it when going through the wood. Now it has 190 in it it does not go all the way through which is to be expected by all accounts.

Justme