Maggies

Theskyfox

Ok a place Im shooting at has a problem with some lovely magpies that are just begging to be taken down. Ive just bought some Owls and Ive also got some magpie decoys and some hens eggs too....Question is whats the best way to use them? I know to be covered up myself, but do I just place the Owls out in the open? have a few magpie deeks around them? Im just trying to find the best combination to use without going too mad and getting a successful bag....

Any comments would be great,

-Andrew

Hi m8, ive always found a dead magpie is best, but you can use the magpie decoy nere the eggs in spring works good too, the way i do it is, get yourself some grass and leaves make into a nest shape, put the eggs in the nest and crack one open, get as cammoed up hidden into the gloom as possible and set yourself up in a hide or bush ect, stick a magpie deek over it and wait, be patient and you should be in for some action, magpies also like a branch to land on to look over the eggs before landing to do what they gotta do, so if you put the eggs nere a branch (tree) ect this would help alot :blink:

With the owl, is it a little flapping owl, or big owl you have ?? with the small flapping owl id stick it on a post somewhere with a dead magpie at its feet, make sure you put it where the magpies are, they dont like a owl in the territory or any other big bird such as gos hawk, sparrow hawk ect, becouse they feel unsafe, so they will go absolutley mad, always remember to make sure they cant see you at all, or theyle fly of.

Ive got a big owl deek, this is ment for shotguns really, they normelly just fly over squarking at it, therefore with the shotgun you just wack them out the sky, the small owl they seem to land, so therefore the air rifle comes into its own :blink:

Hope this helps m8, all the best lee .... :lol:

Cheers for the input so far, Ive got both owls (I bought a big one and a small one). I'll give the little owl a go first then as this seems like the best plan of action.....I think I'll make a fake nest too and pop the eggs in it. I'll let u know how I get on (it wont be till next week now) but Im just tryin to find out as much as I can first ^^

Cheers again,

-Andrew

Cheers for the input so far, Ive got both owls (I bought a big one and a small one). I'll give the little owl a go first then as this seems like the best plan of action.....I think I'll make a fake nest too and pop the eggs in it. I'll let u know how I get on (it wont be till next week now) but Im just tryin to find out as much as I can first ^^

Cheers again,

-Andrew

No probs m8, any questions just ask :blink:

I braught novembers copy of air gunner yesterdav and there's a good picture of a fake nest with eggs in it, it also says to make 1 look like it is broken. and another picture with a magie deek over a shot pigeon. pick a copy up its well worth it. :blink:

there is also a article on 177 vs 22. "run for cover"

no I dont work for them :blink:

kipper :lol:

Had a bit of fun at the weekend with with magpies, dropped a rabbit shot the night before onto a bit of open ground, sliced open it's stomach and pulled out some of the guts and then retired behind a hedge.

Had 4 magpies within 30 minutes. The rabbit was no good to eat hence using it as bait.

Jerry

I hate maggies :lol: there flying foxes :lol: ,

There has been a great big maggie on my back garden for the past 2 mornings. Its like a black & white crow (but I'ts not). as soon as it arrives all the other birds disapear :lol: .

im gonna feed it ACCUPELL through my AA S410 :good:

KIPPER :no:

Try putting a few matches into a matchbox and shaking when you here them chattering on their way in. I've had great success with this, just don't do it when they get too close (20-30yds). Being inquisitive, they begin looking for a rival invading their territory. Would work well with the magpie deek leaning over fake nest and broken egg or paunched rabbit.

All the best :angry: