Advice needed regarding decoying.

.philmypower.

Hi, I'm off to Leicestershire Tom for some pigeon shooting. I've been told that due to the amount of hammering the pigeons have given the rape, their is none left so they won't decoy.

What is your views on this? Will the birds decoy if their is no food present or am I best off finding a good flight line.

How would you approach this.

Thanks

Na, been looking forward to it rob, worth a try. Couldn't tell you where the birds are mate as I've never been there but there's plenty of woods for roost shooting or I can try & find a flight line.

Going Tom and not shooting till sun so should have plenty of time to try and suss things out.

Just curious what others would do.

Hi, I'm off to Leicestershire Tom for some pigeon shooting. I've been told that due to the amount of hammering the pigeons have given the rape, their is none left so they won't decoy.

What is your views on this? Will the birds decoy if their is no food present or am I best off finding a good flight line.

Thanks

Phil im thinking there may be a clue in this bit :lol:

Thanks

I am yet to see a rape field that has been completely destroyed by pigeon. Many fields drilled last year didn't establish well and many farmers have lost fields to slug damage.

I would be inclined to find a good flight line or try for some roost shooting, if i were you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Motty on this one. Even though it can look like there's no rape left in a field, or part of a field, on closer inspection, you'll probably see rape stems , which can still grow. I've decoyed over this successfully before.

It's more likely that the birds have found somewhere else to feed, if they're not on that rape anymore. Maybe there's some nice fresh drillings in the area.

If you can find the birds, then it goes without saying, thats where you want to be, but if that isn't an option, because of permissions etc, then why not just give it a go. Better than watching tele. (Although magman does have a point, about getting brownie points with the missus.But I'd still rather go shooting ,and put up with a bit of moaning, than stay at home.)