First attempt at bacon is too salty - Can I rescue it?

FalconFN

I've made some bacon by dry salting a small joint of belly for 4 days. I think 4 days was too much for this small piece as it's way too salty but I'd like to save it if possible, so was hoping that someone knows of a way to reduce the salt. I am currently soaking it in cold water but I don't know if that's the right thing to do, or how long I should leave it soaking.

Any ideas?

Ths may sound strange but put salt in the water your bacon is soaking in at the moment and it will draw out the salt :good:

Does that work ?

Would have thought it would be better putting it in just pure water and let osmosis take place to try and balance the salt content between them ?

The salt solution will be best as the salt in the water accelerates the osmotic reaction which draws the salt quickly and makes a stronger salt solution in the water. Check out osmosis on google if you have any doubts - I reckon it will work in a much shorter time.

Thanks for the replies. I added a little salt to the water and then left it over night. We had bacon and eggs this morning and it was perfect :good:

1 small thin end of belly made 36 rashers of streaky and cup full of lardons so I'm pretty pleased, but next time I'll smoke it too.