Folconry

woody801

Hi,

Is there any body in south Cumbria that keeps Hawks? I'm very interested in learning how to keep and care for these birds. I realize there is a lot to learn and am not daft enough to go out and get a bird without being adequately prepared. Although I am a complete novice as regards to falconry I come from a country sports background and have a decent knowledge of a wide range of country pursuits. I'd love to get into falconry more but there seems to be very little opportunity to do so. The only way I've found so far is by doing a 5 day course which is very expensive. If anybody is willing to show me the ropes that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

P.S. I only realized I'd incorrectly spelled falconry as the thread title after I'd posted it. It wont let me change it in the edit section.

Edited by woody801

• 4 weeks later...

The best start off bird is always a Harris hawk to learn with only about £250 for a good female keep the weight right and you carnt really go wrong

Definitely! I would imagine that more falconers started with a Harris than any other bird!

There are a few good forums covering Falconry, they would be a good place for you to find someone in your area that might be willing to help, advise and "mentor" you.

I used to keep Harris hawks a few years a go. Had a handful. My dad is very well respected in the falconry world, in fact him and I have just got back from the British falconry show in Northampton.

There is a very good falconry forum. I believe one of then is the iff, international falconry forum.

There will be a north west falconry club I imagine, I would recommend joining, going to some of the meets.

I am sure everyone will welcome you and point you in the right direction to buy a good Harris.

There is also some very good books, look for authors such as bob dolton, jermima perry jones and martin hollinshead

• 2 months later...

Every one will tell you how big a commitment it is to have your own bop but until you get your own bird you wont know what they mean. it will take over your life if your doing it right. Things can go bad very quick and you need some one who can help so try and find someone who near.

If your real keen dont be put off by some of the ***** on the falconry forums its an amazing sport and very rewarding.

Btw its not folconry its falconry.