FAC Hopefully Joining a club tomorrow

b16jus

Ive finally decided i would like to try target shooting and am visiting my local club tomorrow and if im happy join up.

I understand i have to be a member for a while before i can apply for my FAC.

Couple of questions though please

When i apply it will be target use only but i presume i can go to any club for target use, What about shooting targets on private land ?

Is it like my SGC i can buy any gun im allowed to buy, also ammo is regulated i presume target use will have a bigger limit as i would think you would shoot more.

Ive added up a few bits and a nic gun/mod/scope isnt too expensive

Thanks

J

Ive finally decided i would like to try target shooting and am visiting my local club tomorrow and if im happy join up.

I understand i have to be a member for a while before i can apply for my FAC.

Couple of questions though please

When i apply it will be target use only but i presume i can go to any club for target use, What about shooting targets on private land ?

Is it like my SGC i can buy any gun im allowed to buy, also ammo is regulated i presume target use will have a bigger limit as i would think you would shoot more.

Ive added up a few bits and a nic gun/mod/scope isnt too expensive

Thanks

J

You will be restricted to target shooting, condition on your FAC will be along the lines of ...............

The firearms and ammunition shall be used for target shooting and only whilst a member of XXXX Shooting Club or other Home Office approved club on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

Put down as much ammo as you can justify, and with a target condition your chances of getting expanding ammo are about as close to zero as you can get!

The club will give you as much, and probably better advice than anyone here!

Got my fac pasted yesterday after waiting 4 weeks, did my 3 months probation at my gun glib then applied. Got all the guns I applied for as shoot different disaplins.

I got 2 .22lrs, a .357 lever action a .223 and a .308 the last 2 I got is because my club had the use of a full bore range and can shoot up to 7.63/.308. Also got mods for all then put on too

Edited by JONAH898

Thanks guys, So you have to also justify the gun you want and moderator etc

So target shooting on private land is a nono as not approved

Also .77 or .22 i presume both can be used for target shooting but is there a massive difference ?

J

You have to justify the gun for target in so much as you have to justify what you want, it also has to be suitable for the club/range, many have restrictions on calibre, energy, speed, type of ammo, etc.

.77, Do you mean .17 HMR or .17 centrefires or something else? None of these are particularly known as Target calibres, and you will be faced with NON expanding ammo for them, which will restrict your ammo choice severely. Being new to this it is possible that you will NOT be granted these for Target as they are not known as target tools, and little or no competition exists for them. In principle anything can be used for target at a club if you can justify it, the question may be asked.....................

"The HMR/Fireball/etc isn't a target calibre so why do you want it for target?"

And your answer would be?

Like I said earlier, a word with the club will be very helpful to you!

Edit.

Your chances of being able to use a rifle on Private land if you only have a target condition is VERY slim/non existent.

Edited by Dekers

The replies that dekers have given are quite right! Why not try to get at least on permission and then ask for the rifle to be conditioned for Vermin and Ground Game also? That would cover you if you wanted to zero it in or practice your "Shooting Techniques" out in the field rather than being completely restricted to ranges!