Recipe for disaster?

I'm after some opinions on the below slug recipe please (yes I do have slug conditions on my FAC :rolleyes: )

Fiocchi 67mm hull with 616 primer
26grain Vectan A1

3mm overshot card

20mm Fibre wad
33gram Lyman Forster style slug
frangible disc (purely to stop the roll crimp tool from cutting into the top of the slug)
Roll crimp down to 62mm

The load is for range work practice at beween 30-50 meters with my Winchester SXP (pump action)

Does it sound reasonable or should I buy a cheap single barrel & a piece of string to test :whistling:

Any advice appreciated

I've no idea of the current cost, as I used to work at well known sporting cartridge manufacturer and proofing was done on an hourly basis as well as any alteration to the tooling would also mean a re-proof, and made hundreds of thousands of slugs.

This showed any gradual variation, also the powder batch variation would and could send the pressure way out of proof.

When you do work up a recipe stick to it, and learn to shoot it.

They are in Banbury Street, B5 5RH not far from the Dogs Home in New Canal Street. Give them a ring on 0121 643 3860

Edited by Paladin

Many thanks, I'll give them a bell tomorrow once I get back from the range (only a .22LR day)

Incidentally I used to work within spitting distance of the proof house in the late 80's however the landscape around there has changed somewhat since then. :/:no:

Edited by xxx.Morph.xxx

Is it a listed load?

Why not just use a listed load and components?

A slug usually gives less pressure than a shot load. Most slug loads use a slower powder than a shot load to give a longer push to gain velocity. Using a standard shot load powder means vel will be down. Compensating by adding more of the same faster powder will raise pressures.

U.

Guest cookoff013

about £40 send in 10 weighed reloads.

A slug usually gives less pressure than a shot load. Most slug loads use a slower powder than a shot load to give a longer push to gain velocity. Using a standard shot load powder means vel will be down. Compensating by adding more of the same faster powder will raise pressures.

U.

slugs, have the same potential for higher and lower pressures, it just depends on the recipe. i wouldnt nessasary say that slugs have lower pressures. most of the great ballistics where all the powder is used up efficiently, are often where the pressure is 95% of working pressure. thats also applicable to shot, reguardless of speed or payload.

its true, most slug loads use slower powder, just to gain speed, but within pressure limits.

adding more "faster type" powder to a recipe that all ready has a very healthy pressure, will just increase pressure for very little speed gain. dont forget there is a pressure variation too, that is rarely discussed.

the data you create is also a verification of safety, and is also a check to see how healthy your load is. you can make a decision to increase or decrease the powder, for the next proofing.