Early Morning Recy on new land

Raptor1971

After yesterdays bonus of picking up acre after acre of rape and wheat I decided to get out early ( 4.30 am ) to get a feel for one of the pieces of land hoping to see where the birds were coming in from and to watch the flight lines but also get a good look at where the rabbits were sitting and which hedgerows they were using as cover ect

So with the bacon butties made and flask sorted I headed out with a touch of excitement about me just like a kid at xmas, as I got to the gateway I found it already open with a note attached on the post, ( sean I opened up last night as I got your text didn't want you to spook anything first light cheers ) from the farmer.

so with the Ruger 77/22 on my shoulder and the Lanber on the arm I set of exploring, I found some nice corners with cover, and plenty of good hedgerows that you can set a hide up against and plenty of signs of rabbit, I headed over towards the wood at the far end of the fields that is slightly higher hoping to get a good view of the flight lines which indeed it did, and plenty of rabbit to look at ranging from 30 yrds away to 175 yrds away along the hedge line and into the field roughly 30 yrd or so but didn't take any shots as I didn't want to spook anything just yet.

Having watched the flight lines of the few birds that were about and made a few sketches of the lay of the land I decided to pick a few rabbits off before moving onto another field.

As I crept around the corner it was alive with bunnies moving from a small coppice on the left to a small wooded area on the right across a track the tractor had made between fields, so I walked the long way round so I didn't spook anything and set myself up at the bottom of the track looking slightly up bank on the diagonal with a good bank behind the line of fire and sun behind me with wind blowing in my face. This gave me a good 40 mins or so picking them off as they stopped on the track to nibble the fresh grass covered in dew.

In total I had 18 rabbits from the 2 spots I settled down at for short spells, and called it a day at 8.30 as the bunnies starting to get wise and it was a treck and a half carrying the guns and rabbits which took me nearly an hour with stopping and switching hands with the equipment :huh:

So not a bad start to helping the farmer and a few in the freezer for the hawk and ferrets. The picture attached is of the six I took by the wooded area but then dropped my camera :no: so couldn't get a full bag picture, but I will next time out.

post-64335-0-84223700-1369685997_thumb.jpg