condition wording on my licence?

You are quite right, some FEO's do indeed get very confused even on the simplest bits of firearms legislation.

The AOLQ condition is perhaps one of the best bits of logic to come from ACPO, thanks to the NGO and BASC who lobbied for it back in I think it was early 2009 and its implementation will do away with the ridiculous situation where people were prohibited from using their larger caliber rifles from shooting fox or vermin. Such conditions as "fox only whilst deer stalking" will become a thing of the past.

If one looks back at the history of AOLQ it will be seen that ACPO have always intended that AOLQ referred to lesser species and that it followed the primary species that the rifle was granted for.

As an example, one of their circulars read ........... advised police forces to allow larger calibre rifles to be used to take lesser

species i.e. where the primary reason for possession e.g. deer stalking was established, all

lesser species such as foxes and pests could to be shot. This practice has been

commonplace in Scotland for some time, and has not endangered public safety in any way.

As some, if not all fac holders who do not have deer listed on their fac, now interpret AOLQ to mean exactly what it says on the tin. That is, as their conditions state Fox and AOLQ they can shoot deer and I won't even go down the Vermin and AOLQ road.
My fear is that as soon as ACPO get whiff of this they will reword the condition and tighten up on its usage which will be a backwards step for us all.

So whats to fear if the ACPO get whiff of this and reword the condition to tighten up its useage, it can only be a good thing for a person that does have vermin and AOLQ on his license. Say if the condition is on a .17hmr, ok so small deer will not be legal quarry but what about boar and goats. This may seem like splitting hairs but what about all of us that have understood the DMQ's to be a good thing, paid to improve our knowledge to find that the chap on the neighbouring land has 243 for fox and AOLQ and starts knocking over the deer with no knowledge of legal muzzle velocities or seasons. Deer laws are rarely enforced as it is, might as well make it one big free for all, shoot what you like with whatever you like.

Think you are right there al4x, the police won't just put AOLQ on every calibre thats on your license but will use this wording if your are experienced enough to deal with all other legal Quarry. The wording will probably replace wordings of multi animals species on calibres and to clear up the old scenario of you seeing a fox while out with your 308 and the calibre is specified for goats,deer and boar only. Gloucestershire Firearms have started to use this wording, my license is in for renewal and I have requested this condition but I don't expect they would issue it to anyone without DSC1 whether its the law or not.

Sorry to say but best of luck with the AOLQ. Gloucestershire are remover the condition under advisement from their barristers. Mne went in for variation and they took it off, NJC110381 had the same a few others also have had the condition removed.

Just had AOLQ added to my 22's in hampshire, but the FEO has insisted that i will need a mentor for 243, even though Andy Marsh who is the Chief Constable for hampshire is the one who wants the removal of mentor conditions

I asked if a dsc1 would remove the need for a mentor, and the response was no

Sorry to say but best of luck with the AOLQ. Gloucestershire are remover the condition under advisement from their barristers. Mne went in for variation and they took it off, NJC110381 had the same a few others also have had the condition removed.

I will let you know when I get my license back, I only asked for its removal to make things easier, it will not make any differance to what species I shoot with whichever calibre if it comes back the same as last time.