.22 lr or .17 hmr

walker

I have 3 x 22 in the cabinet, but they are all zero'd at 20 yards for club shooting.. Still work ok for bunnies as long as you have a range finder, and have an idea of the bullet trajectory

I dont really at the moment want to dedicate one of the 22's for bunny use, as ive got to the stage of winning medals with them.

So im at the stage of wanting another gun, noise is not an issue, as its on a farm, so am thinking of a 17hmr as some of the distances are quite large, too much for a 22.. FEO has already said he will approve one no question as he prefers the HMR.

Then for the 22 ruger or cz i may fix some weaver rail, and get some quick release scope mounts, so i can change scopes easily,

This way i will have the choice of 17 or 22

I have used cci stingers through my cz, and found them to be accurate, and they do well at longer ranges than the Winchester subsonics, so this is alway another thing you can try if you have a 22

I have 3 x 22 in the cabinet, but they are all zero'd at 20 yards for club shooting.. Still work ok for bunnies as long as you have a range finder, and have an idea of the bullet trajectory

I dont really at the moment want to dedicate one of the 22's for bunny use, as ive got to the stage of winning medals with them.

So im at the stage of wanting another gun, noise is not an issue, as its on a farm, so am thinking of a 17hmr as some of the distances are quite large, too much for a 22.. FEO has already said he will approve one no question as he prefers the HMR.

Then for the 22 ruger or cz i may fix some weaver rail, and get some quick release scope mounts, so i can change scopes easily,

This way i will have the choice of 17 or 22

I have used cci stingers through my cz, and found them to be accurate, and they do well at longer ranges than the Winchester subsonics, so this is alway another thing you can try if you have a 22

Stingers are probably the most INACCURATE ammo I have tried in mine.

Just goes to show how barrels vary.

:good:

Stingers are probably the most INACCURATE ammo I have tried in mine.

Just goes to show how barrels vary.

:good:

Hi,

Yes i find it odd too, ive read some people saying they are great, some say the are rubbish..

I was at the club last night, i tried some, along with winchester subs and they were just as accurate, not tried many at long range yet, just fired one at the farm, and it hit what i was aiming at

Hi,

Yes i find it odd too, ive read some people saying they are great, some say the are rubbish..

I was at the club last night, i tried some, along with winchester subs and they were just as accurate, not tried many at long range yet, just fired one at the farm, and it hit what i was aiming at

If I read your earlier post correctly you are zeroed at 20 yards for club shooting.

That may be why you get on ok with CCI Stingers.

At that sort of range (20 yards) there is not much distance to really demonstrate the differences in accuracy between makes of bullets. Most shooters of rabbits will probably have their .22lr zeroed at 50 or 60 yards. At 50 yards I expect a tight group, certainly covered by a 10p coin or better. Push it out to 75 yards and you are really going to see a difference.

As someone once said in an earlier post, the maximum distance you should try and shoot a rabbit is the maximum distance you can reliably put shot after shot into a 1" circle.

If I read your earlier post correctly you are zeroed at 20 yards for club shooting.

That may be why you get on ok with CCI Stingers.

At that sort of range (20 yards) there is not much distance to really demonstrate the differences in accuracy between makes of bullets. Most shooters of rabbits will probably have their .22lr zeroed at 50 or 60 yards. At 50 yards I expect a tight group, certainly covered by a 10p coin or better. Push it out to 75 yards and you are really going to see a difference.

As someone once said in an earlier post, the maximum distance you should try and shoot a rabbit is the maximum distance you can reliably put shot after shot into a 1" circle.

You are correct, im zerod at 20 yards, however with trajectory charts and a little practice i can still shoot in the right place at 50 yards and beyond.. The only problem with stinger is it will rise about an inch between 25 and 80 yards, then it start to drop again

But i find they group as well as winchester subs, Ive not tried much beyond 100 yards, as i would nit shoot beyond that with a 22