apple cider vinegar

Not my words, stolen from someone else...

CIDER VINEGAR

The records for using cider vinegar date back as far as 400bc, it has been used as medicine for centuries and is still classed today as one of natures wonders.

There are some basic remedies which are associated with cider vinegar and these are shown to improve the health of a variety of animals which include dogs, cats, sheep, cattle and of course poultry. The benefits are that the use of Cider Vinegar helps to reduce some common infections. It also helps in the relief of joint problems and a reduction in intestinal problems, which can help with the reduction in odours produced by the animal/bird. There are also claims that the vinegar can also help to relieve arthritis, which on all animals can be a problem.

Contents

The cider vinegar is produced from red apples and provides a large number of important minerals such as potassium, sulphur, chlorine, phosphorous, iron and silicon. The vitamins which are also contained are vitamin P, A, C, E B1, B2 and B6 as well as a selection of various acids.

Good for the Birds

Through my own experience over the years I am convinced that by using cider vinegar in the drinking water the birds benefit in many ways.

One is definitely an improvement in growth, they seem to feather up more quickly and on birds bred purely for meat there is a definite increase in both size and leanness of the meat.

The number one point is the fact that cider vinegar definitely helps with digestion, the minerals assist the bird to digest the feed better and also I am sure this also helps prevent sour crop.

By the vinegar being acidic there is a control of disease and problem causing organisms, I have always used the cider vinegar with my chicks right from them being a few days old, in fact as soon as I know that they are drinking properly. If you use cider vinegar to early the acidic taste may put the chick in danger as it may decide not to drink due to the taste, this is very unlikely but could happen.

What must be stated is that cider vinegar is not a wormer but is a help in prevention, there is definite proof that it can help to reduce and prevent coccidiosis, and there is a very good chance that it can prevent canker because cider vinegar is toxic to the trichomoniasis protozoa.

Cider vinegar also provides a source of potassium which will help to combat certain bacterial problems, potassium also controls the use of calcium in the body, this does if used on a regular basis help keep the blood vessels free from calcium being formed on the walls. The fact that calcium is being controlled also helps to prevent the soft shell egg problem.

The Advantages

Improved fertility

General better health

Cleanliness in drinkers by the slowing down of algae growth in the drinkers

Helps to clean the plumage

Show Birds look amazing when bathed in a solution of cider vinegar

The clearing of the respiratory system

Dosage and usage

There is no exact dosage mixture as all suppliers seem to suggest slightly different measurements.

I suggest a dosage of approximately 10ml per 1 litre of water. This is the easiest way of getting a basic idea as to what is the most suitable for the birds, I give this mixture to the birds from as young as 2 weeks, just as a preventative.

Although I always prefer to give the dosage in the drinking water, a light spray of cider vinegar over the feed is also possible - I must add only a light spray.

Warning about usage, do not use metal drinkers or feeders while you are using cider vinegar as it will damage the equipment by corrosion, this in turn can create a problem for the birds if they are drinking this contaminated water supply.

Other Uses

Damaged bleeding areas on the birds can be successfully treated by a diluted mixture of cider vinegar and will also help to prevent many forms of skin irritation but I must add there needs to be a dilution rate of around 10 to 1.

As well as a form of medical help, cider vinegar makes an excellent cleaner for your equipment, mix the vinegar with some liquid soap and a small quantity of salt and it is very good mix for clearing mildew.

I have met quite a few of the older poultry keepers who still use vinegar to spray the insides of there poultry units, this I am sure is due to the toxic nature and is a natural fly and insect deterrent which will do no harm to your birds.

As a final point, cider vinegar is a great cleaner of the birds plumage and there are several exhibitors who bathed several of their show birds in diluted cider vinegar to create a bloom on the feathers and also to remove any grease on the plumage.

The end results of using cider vinegar are really quite simple, if this product saves the use of normal anti biotic and other medicines then it is not only better for the bird but also for our own well being. Using cider vinegar definitely improves the general health and strengthens the immune system; this gives a better breeding prospect and enhances the qualities of both the feathers and skin.

cheers justjon I used it for the first time last season in two pens and lost about 60 birds nothing in the other pens . its at 1ltr -1000 ltrs of water . not sure about the use of it again

I sell other vits for game birds - no sales pitch but if you want a chat give me a shout?