HOWDY from The Alamo City of Texas

satx78247

smokinggun,

The REALISTIC range of a crossbow for most "horizontal archers" is <50M. - For me, about 40M, when firing at game, is the limit. = I'm far from an "expert archer" but I can put 3 of 3 arrows into a 10CM circle at 40M.

(Here in the "south Texas brush country" a hunter is lucky to be able to SEE a game animal at 30M, much less fire at one beyond that distance, even with a 1.5 or 2X telescopic sight.= The brush and foliage is THAT thick!)

Reference the planned punt-gun: Just this morning, I found an "old stock" & unused under-lever percussion action & lock that will be excellent for the gun. - It's even at a price that a pensioner can comfortably afford.

Now, I need to find a 3.5M piece of hot-rolled, thick-wall, 2 inch OD, high-pressure steam pipe for the barrel and a suitable "musket-size" (# 11) nipple and drum.

(I don't know what has been used for punt-gun barrels in the UK but in North America "high-pressure steam pipe" was "traditional" for punt-gun barrels for numerous decades. - NO shotgun of any gauge, firing black powder, would ever rupture such a barrel.)

Pity that the UK doesn't allow longbow & arrows and/or crossbow for hunting. - Needless to say, archery is a more challenging method of taking game, when compared to firearms AND it is QUIET, too.

Just my OPINION, satx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...