.22 Bore Laser shell for zeroing

b16jus

I really can't see the point - If you have a bolt rifle then sticking it on a sandbag and bore-sighting will get you pretty near, all you need is for the first shot to get you on the paper, then you're home and dry.

Here's a short video of how to easily zero your scope. I shot this with my phone camera so not the highest quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwD5zu7yTeI

I don't think they're much use for CFs either. The ones I've used - the cartridge type and the muzzle insert type - only produce any kind of precision at close range - 50 yds or less. If you're that unsure of your zero go down to 25 yards and start again. Almost any cartridge rifle will be somewhere around an inch low at 25 yards if zeroed for a hunting range appropriate to the calibre. Start at that, move out to 50, check and adjust then move out to 100 or whatever your zero will be.

Unless there is something wildly wrong with the scope or the mounting anything will be on the paper at 25 yds. A .308 zeroed for 1000 yards will be on an A4 sheet at 25. Just.

A mate of mine has a lazer sighter. He only uses it when he goes hunting overseas. He'll do a basic zero check with it to make sure the rifle and scope have survived the flight intact, before fine tuning with live firing. Saves wasting a precious ammo allowance on re-zeroing if the rifle has been knocked about. Otherwise it never comes out of the box.

For home use I reckon you're better off with a collimator. That's what I use when changing scopes. Just as accurate if used with care and one kit will cover all calibres.

Edited by Gimlet