Moderator conversion thread adaptor

optomist

Hi Folks,

I was pleased to see in the latest guidance to police on firearms licencing, that there is encouragement for multiple use of moderators on more than one rifle.

In view of this greater flexibility I'm trying to adapt my ASE Utra .223 mod for use on my 17 Rem fireball.

I know from projects/custom builds of others that this combination has been found to work well and may save me a good £250 quid on buying a dedicated 17 C/f mod.

The issue i need to address is converting the thread on my 17 rifle from 1/2 unf to the 17MM thread on my mod and TIKKA tac rifle.

It would appear to be a simple threaded sleeve? or have I missed something?

I spoke to Jackson rifles who did not endorse the use of any such device but keen to sell me another Mod.

Has anyone else resolved this problem? I presume it is safe if correctly aligned?

Can anyone reccommend a good gunsmith or engineer to make the necessary bush?

Does anyone have such for sale?

Regards Optomist

A number of Sound Moderator manufacturers offer different threads for their mods (Wildcats etc.,), if yours is fully strippable it should not be a problem to get the right thread insert and change it as you change rifle. I'm not sure if this is possible with the ASE Utra though?

I favour one mod to one rifle just the same, whilst sound reduction figures do vary from make to make, getting a hole as close to the calibre size as possible also gives the best moderation, many manufacturers also offer a wide range of calibre inserts, how far do you want/need to go changing from one calibre to another, odds are you will also have to change the rear bush for many over barrel types as well.

Good luck, if you have several similar calibres and threads why not, people do already!

:yes::good: