Filling Question

sandersj89

I have now had my AA410 Carbine from new for a few months and I am very happy with it indeed but I wonder about the filling process as I seem to waste a fair bit of air and struggle to fill above 150 or 160 BAR.

I fill from a 232BAR bottle, the filling adapter fits over the rifles valve, it is the sort where there is a T piece on the end of the valve that slots through the adapter on the air line from the bottle. Put the adapter over the valve so the T slots through and turn to lock the adapter in place.

I then close the bleed valve, cock the rifle and then open the main valve on the bottle to fill the rifle.

It is as this stage there is lots of hissing and air escaping around the adapter/valve on the rifle. I watch the gauge on the main bottle valve and this fairly quickly will reach 150BAR and then struggles to go any higher, it seems the air is just escaping around the valve. I don’t want to fill much more than 170BAR.

Does this sound normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Jerry

Something's wrong there. It should be a really good seal with nothing escaping. Did you buy it new? When I set mine up I had trouble getting the screw connection to the adaptor to seal, are you sure it's leaking from the rifle/adaptor connection and not the screw connection near it? If it's the rifle to adaptor bit, get it to the shop and get them to fit a new seal to whatever bit is playing up. If it's the thread, try putting a turn of PTFE gas fitter/plumbers tape on the thread and do it up again. Make sure you don't get any tape in the pipe. Good luck, hope it's an easy fix :good:

Something's wrong there. It should be a really good seal with nothing escaping. Did you buy it new? When I set mine up I had trouble getting the screw connection to the adaptor to seal, are you sure it's leaking from the rifle/adaptor connection and not the screw connection near it? If it's the rifle to adaptor bit, get it to the shop and get them to fit a new seal to whatever bit is playing up. If it's the thread, try putting a turn of PTFE gas fitter/plumbers tape on the thread and do it up again. Make sure you don't get any tape in the pipe. Good luck, hope it's an easy fix :good:

Yes, all bought new other then the divers bottle. The rifle and bottle valve are all brand new from BAR.

I am pretty sure the leak is from the around the rifle/adapter but will check this evening as it will need refilling later as I am out roost shooting and then lamping this afternoon/evening with it. (dont want to roost shoot with my shotgun as the wood I will be working has one of our pheasant release pens in it.)

Thanks for the input.

Jerry

Just a quick thought. When you do get it sorted, remember to open the tank valve VERY slowly to get your pressure up. If you open it right up like you may have been doing to get the pressure up with the leak, you may blow the rifle up :good: Sorry if that's obvious, I don't know how much experience you have

Just a quick thought. When you do get it sorted, remember to open the tank valve VERY slowly to get your pressure up. If you open it right up like you may have been doing to get the pressure up with the leak, you may blow the rifle up :good: Sorry if that's obvious, I don't know how much experience you have

No worries, I have always opened the tank valve slowly so as to get a nice steady increase in pressure and not a blast increase.

This is my first PCP rifle so not hugely experianced with them but I have shot springers and shotguns for in excess of 25 years

:drinks:

Jerry

If the rifle is fairly new it will have the new filling adaptor. Would this make a difference?

Yes it is new, as described above it has a T tug on the bottle valve that the filling adapter locks to:

I think it is this one though the pictures are not that clear,

http://pyramidair.com/site/manuals/air-arms/TDRISS1.pdf

Went out this evening and got 3 pigeons roosting so the rifle is behsving fine in that department.

Jerry

I had exactly the same problem the first times that I charged up the cylinder on my S200. This was fitted with the same valve that you are talking about, although Air Arms claim that it has never been fitted to a S200!

The solution was a wrap of PTFE tape around the threads and then to make sure that it was tightened onto the air hose securely. After that - no problem :blush:

Also check out the two o-rings and make sure that they don't have any nicks in them.

Happy shooting

Karl

hey guys..just on a side note...FYI..

when i bought my S400 classic brand new..i had a problem with not being able to fill the rifle upto to spec. even with all the fitting and air hoses tight..i would find that the filling valve on the gun was leaking air once the female fitting was removed..i had a look at the manual and decided to take the filling adapter(part #s472) on the rifle apart only to find that on the inside the machining was so rough that the small O-ring (#s327) was not firmly seating when the piston (#s473) was pushing against it...took out a pencil..wrapped some light grade sand paper on it and kept polishing the inside of the filling adapter (#s472) till it was smooth..assembled everything together and had no problems...everything working as usual :blush:

just thought i'd share my 2c's just in case someone else came accross the same problem!!

sacha