mother line

ady 1975

Ah right, i put differing lengths on, some of mine are short at 3 ft and others are 7 ft+. When they go out on the tide it gives a nice staggered pattern rather than them all sitting in a dead straight line. It also keeps the mother line well down so the dog can swim through the decoys without getting caught up.

i use the clips from tide pool to attach the decoys to the mother line just wondered how long the cord should be on the decoys to clip or just put the clip straight to the decoy with a split ring

Short enough not to tangle with its partner on turn of tide yet long enough for the dog not to snag the main line when swimming. To my mind about 3ft as long as there is more than 6ft between each deek for the tangling reason mentioned. Make sure you have two knots or cable ties to prevent deeks slipping down the line in a strong flow

I Keep the line between the clip and the decoy as short as possible to avoid tangles. I usually have mine about 3 inches and never have tangle problems. I have found the problem with using longer length can happen when the tide turns and the decoys switch position against the mother line.

Edited by anser2

I Keep the line between the clip and the decoy as short as possible to avoid tangles. I usually have mine about 3 inches and never have tangle problems. I have found the problem with using longer length can happen when the tide turns and the decoys switch position against the mother line.

how does your dog cope getting over the line? Also is the line and clips not very visible in clearer water at such a shallow depth? Must say I don't struggle with 3ft max and just over 6 ft between, they still don't start mating on turn of tide

I make the dog wait until the dead bird has drifted clear of the decoys , which I trained her to avoid anyway before allowing her to retrieve. I often find this pays dividens as any duck disturbed by my shots from some distance away will then come into the decoys , undisturbed by a retriving dog. I usualy set the decoys 30 yards upwind of my hide so the duck fall well clear of the decoys anway. Of course if the tide is a big one in full flow I limit the number of birds down or the dog may not have time to retrieve them all before the tide washes them too far down the creeks. But at slack tide i may sometimes have 3-4 duck floating in the water before I let the dog retrieve. It all depends on the speed of the tide and if there are any side creeks to stop my progress helping the dog get birds drifting away and how many birds are in the air. Any wounded duck are shot again at once on the water. Most of my decoying is on large creeks ( upto a mile away from the sea edge) with a strong tidal flow. On some of the marshes I shoot the saltings are very wide , over a mile across with huge creeks 80 yards wide and 15 feet deep , back near the sea wall.

The mother line is always draged up close to the waters surface if the decoy-clip length is short or long by the power of the water flow. But once the tide changes direction if the decoy -clip lines are too long the decoys easily tangle with the change in water direction.

Edited by anser2

how does your dog cope getting over the line? Also is the line and clips not very visible in clearer water at such a shallow depth? Must say I don't struggle with 3ft max and just over 6 ft between, they still don't start mating on turn of tide

Il second what answer2 said on the last post .I use a large stainless split ring (sea fishing )to fix the clip to the decoy saves loads of tangles and if the ducks get close enough to see the clips in clear water and you have not shot them(or at least at them) you need to sharpen up :ninja:

I make the dog wait until the dead bird has drifted clear of the decoys , which I trained her to avoid anyway before allowing her to retrieve. I often find this pays dividens as any duck disturbed by my shots from some distance away will then come into the decoys , undisturbed by a retriving dog. I usualy set the decoys 30 yards upwind of my hide so the duck fall well clear of the decoys anway. Of course if the tide is a big one in full flow I limit the number of birds down or the dog may not have time to retrieve them all before the tide washes them too far down the creeks. But at slack tide i may sometimes have 3-4 duck floating in the water before I let the dog retrieve. It all depends on the speed of the tide and if there are any side creeks to stop my progress helping the dog get birds drifting away and how many birds are in the air. Any wounded duck are shot again at once on the water. Most of my decoying is on large creeks ( upto a mile away from the sea edge) with a strong tidal flow. On some of the marshes I shoot the saltings are very wide , over a mile across with huge creeks 80 yards wide and 15 feet deep , back near the sea wall.

The mother line is always draged up close to the waters surface if the decoy-clip length is short or long by the power of the water flow. But once the tide changes direction if the decoy -clip lines are too long the decoys easily tangle with the change in water direction.

I shoot some real fast tide races, Surfers use the incomming Bore on one so I am not a stranger to a bit of pull. However I use big clips designed for long lining big sea fish and 3ft anti tangle links. My rope (sinking 3/8") or droppers do not lift, dog can swim through the rig - but I don't shoot on the main flows because no dog could do any darn good, the trick is the two lengths added cannot be more or equal to the spacings, deeks around 6ft apart aint too close either.