Knee problems in a Cocker Puppy

wingnut

Hi Guys, just had our Cocker puppy Peggy down to the vets this morning as she had appeared to have a problem with her left hind leg last night, she was walking around in the kitchen when she let out an almighty series of high pitched yelps and started lifting her leg off the ground, after 10 -- 15 seconds she managed to put her leg back down and just carried on as normal.

Any way-long story short, the vet has informed me that that she needs resting for 2 weeks, ie no running around, just gentle on the lead exercising, and give her medication once a day (Metacam), take her back next Friday for a further check up too see if she needs to undergo surgery to correct the problem if it doesn't settle down.

The questions are :

Has anyone else had this problem with their dog?

Did the surgery work for them?

Will it stop me working her in the future?

All advice gratefully received.

Andy

Hi Apache, She is coming up to 22 weeks old, the vet said its not the cruciate ligament (at the moment), but it could lead to problems with it later on.

The operation (if reqd) would be to put a groove in the bone for a ligament to stop the knee moving around.

Regards Andy

• 4 months later...

Update on Peggy's condition, after following the vets advice about exercising her only on the lead, no free running at all for the past 4 months, it was time to return to the vet for an examination, good news, after resting her and letting her build up muscle strength, we have been given the news that they can no longer manually move either of her knee caps and she has been given the all clear.

Now we can move on to the next stage of her training at long last.

:)

what an excellent link , very well explained

is this type of thing only seen in pups or very young

Apache -- one of my dogs is doing similar thing , a little hop , now and then ,and sometimes looks akward going up steps. then she looks fine for a while .

i noticed a few times while she was eating she had the rear leg slightly outward.

i have massaged it etc , put her on joint aid and rested her , stopped her from jumping up .

she seems ok at the mo , but i,m guessing it will return as its not the first time .

i hope to god its not the start of cruicate problems .

my other bitch as had both legs done tpo or something like that , the vet who did the ops said theres not a lot you can do once its started to go.

Apache - what do think would be the best thin to do

thank you