Home made IR illuminator

pin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mate the difference with the thing I made already is like night and day. It really works well just doesn't shine up the eyes of little furry critters :/

I would say the beam was going out to 400 yds, under 200 yds it was literally like daylight on anything it was pointed at.

The torch itself is quite heavy and doesn't last long (25 mins) which isn't really much use. On the plus side though the beam was probably a good few times stronger than it needs to be. So you have options..

Replace the bulb in the lamp - its a car headlight bulb of H3 fitting, you can pick up 55w ones from halfords which would extend the use out to over an hour, which might be more useful in the field.

Put the filter on something that's less bright but lighter and more useful in the field - which is what I am going to do. First up is the deben tracer max pro I have sat there. No better place for the filter now I think of it, and that lasts longer, is lighter to carry and generally more useful out in the field.

You know deben sell an IR filter made specifically for that lamp, don't you? (Deben item no. GA2553IR @ £19.99)

I picked up a second hand one off karlgixer on here, but I still want to make one myself - its taken a lot of research and thought so I have to do it, if that makes any sense :/

Depends on how IR there is coming from the lamp and how efficient the filter is.

The 3million candle power thing has a beam which you can see on distant trees out to half a mile, I'd say it was about 1/3rd the brightness with the filter on under the NV - so I am hoping for a good 100yds+ from the tracer :/

****** it :good:

New filter stuff doesn't do it either, I need to do some more working out ???

I am beginning to think its not the filter but the bulb, perhaps it doesn't have sufficient of the correct frequency light in it to work, so going to look into different types of bulbs.

Ok, so turning on my brain I thought, ok, so is it the filter or is it that the right frequency of light isn't there to start with (in the white light chucked out by the halogen).

So with the bunny sat there blissfully unaware in the dark on the sofa I turn on the NV and light him up, backs of his eyes shining brightly. So then I pop a small square of the filter in front of the built in IR illuminator and nothing happened, his eyes are lit up just the same, perhaps a 1% drop in brightness almost could not perceive the difference.

Barking up the wrong tree all the time, there simply isn't enough of the right wavelength IR emitted by the headlight. Or a torch, or anything I had to hand. The filter is passing the right wavelengths and its blocking the visible light as well - exactly like it says on the tin.

So I need a new light source, which has about 805nm in abundance ???

I need 10 minutes on some universities photon-spectroscope armed with bunny and NV goggles and then I wouldn't have to faff about ???

Its bloody annoying trying to measure something you can't see and work out how much of it there is :good:

Its starting to do my head in now, time for a beer :lol:

Ohh, yeah ask him about the eyes thing :good:

In complete honesty I have been looking at specs of IR LED's thismorning.

Even though he only uses LED lamps with no reflector, Reading some of this guys info, he says that the the range is also Camara dependent.

So our NV might not be able to pick up the reflection over a certain range :lol:

PELTMAN ???

Pin

Just got this reply from the first e-bay seller:

Infrared Lamp IR X-Ray Torch Night Vision Infra Red (280072047294)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

ubergoat is the seller.

Hi

Just tried it out with the goat and a Sony camcorder with night shot and there is most definatly reflected eye shine. I would presume therefore that combinations other than goat/sony would produce the same result.

Regards

ubergoat

PELTMAN :good: