Where was the tide?

SEshooter

Went out on the swale this morning. left home at 4.20am expecting to get to my spot and get the decoys set up for high tide at 7.45am. High tide came and went but no water, it was due a 4.7m tide and I have been to this spot on a 4.7m and there was plenty of water. Could this simply be caused by the strong winds? This was my last trip of the season and was feeling a bit gutted.

Nope, didn't get a shot off. See a few birds right out over the river and the usual Brent's and Shelly's flying over our heads. There is a lake near where we was and in the conditions like today the birds seem to just stick up there. On the way back see 20 plus mallard sitting on a flooded farmers field.

I have also noticed that on the dropping cycle of tides they are much less likely to reach the predicted height, yet on the up they are generally bang on.

Yes, but be very careful with the rising cycle statement as there is no such thing as bang on with any tide prediction. For instance a low pressure in the Bristol channel drives more tide up the N.West coast add a S.West blow switching to NWest with tide (weather often changes with turn of the tide) will put a lot more water on a tide. With just Low pressure in the Bristol channel your only warning is looking closely at the weather and or getting off quick when things don't look quite right. Know what effects your area and know what doesn't look right