falconry

Maori Haz

I was out on a hunting day recently in Kent with some falcons and ferrets, and it was AMAZING

i am only 15 if you dont know me , and it was a new activity for me.. We were flying harris hawks, and in the end we got 3 rabbits, which i think is good seeing as we had about 7 bolts... the hawks flew well, and the ferrets did their job :look:

was a great day out and im sure i'll be doing it again.

espeicially as now i know how to fly them without an instructor.

hope everyone's well

Haz :no:

I was out on a hunting day recently in Kent with some falcons and ferrets, and it was AMAZING

i am only 15 if you dont know me , and it was a new activity for me.. We were flying harris hawks, and in the end we got 3 rabbits, which i think is good seeing as we had about 7 bolts... the hawks flew well, and the ferrets did their job :no:

was a great day out and im sure i'll be doing it again.

espeicially as now i know how to fly them without an instructor.

hope everyone's well

Haz :)

Good on you, glad to hear you had a good day. As with any animal though...if your thinking about getting one...think about the future and where your likely to be when the animal is coming to the end of it's natural life - e.g. you might find housing a hawk at University a little tricky! :look:

Good to hear of youngster getting involved...keep it up!

Cheers,

Oly.

haha i dont think we'll be getting one just yet lol

my dad has ideas for when we move to the country.. lol obviously not yet living in a house in surrey..

if you ever get time try a course (if there are any near you) because they're really worth it, and its not too confusing

:look:

Haz :no:

It's a whole different ball game if you ever get a bird of your own.

Had my first Kestrel when i was 12 years old, had her till i was 16. Then i had a common buzzard when i was 19, had her for a few years (went to someone for breeding) then had a HarrisHawk when i was 25, and he was amazing, but when he died i was so gutted i gave up Hawks. Maybe one day i may return to hawking.

They take up a lot of time, and i mean a LOT. NO more Holidays(unless they are Hawking holidays), must be fed every day, and taken for exercise every day, unless it is chucking it down.

Then there is the training, first the manning process, this takes up a lot of time if you are beginner, then getting it to fly to you for food, then increasing the distance until you feel that it is responding to you directly, then for the first Free flight :no: Your heart JUMPS out of your chest, will it fly to you or fly off :look:

Then to get it Hunting, not easy at all, but when it catches it's first kill, it's amazing.

If you are lucky enough to get into Hawking later on, make sure you know what your doing. Think about it carefully.

The Harris Hawk is a great bird to fly, a lot of people said they wished there dog was as obedient as my bird :)