Which scope for a .223

PaulieWalnuts

Greetings

Just got myself an a-bolt .223 and im now looking for a scope, but because I have to have low mounts I can only fit a x40 scope.

Any suggestions? What do people generally have on theirs? Im also on a budget, around 80 to 100 pounds. So second hand might be the way to go.

Would I be better off putting a comb raiser on the stock so that I can get a bigger scope?

Help me please!

Cheers

the comb raiser wont help the mounts. 3-9 x 40 but you don't say what for. IMO if its a new gun your priorities are all a twist, you cant shoot them if you cant see them and frankly your going to be doing a lot of scope swapping till you find one that really works ie. holding zero and working in low light

the comb raiser wont help the mounts. 3-9 x 40 but you don't say what for. IMO if its a new gun your priorities are all a twist, you cant shoot them if you cant see them and frankly your going to be doing a lot of scope swapping till you find one that really works ie. holding zero and working in low light

As in what am I shooting and in what conditions?

In what order should my priorities be?

If I raise the comb my eyeline will be higher and will therefore be able to have higher mounts and in turn can look at maybe a 3-9 x 50

I heightened the comb on my A-bolt to make things feel better with medium mounts and a 50mm lens. To be honest I would advise you to save up some more pennies before buying a scope and go for maybe a second hand leupold or meopta, I wasted a lot of money on cheap scopes that couldn't hold zero when I started shooting.

As in what am I shooting and in what conditions?- Yeah, its dead relevant Red deer on the hill need a different type of thing to crows at 400 yards idealy

In what order should my priorities be?- Reliability and brightness if hunting

If I raise the comb my eyeline will be higher and will therefore be able to have higher mounts and in turn can look at maybe a 3-9 x 50 -Just ask why go 50mm a 40mm objective on about 6x is as bright as a 50mm objective at 7x, does that extra 1x mag make a big difference to you for those bigger mounts and heavier scope? Look at an eagle cheek piece bag for raising your eye height slightly (though I doubt it will be required) they are durable and handy for storage of a pull though, fox call or a few spare rounds etc.