CZ 455 VARMINT

ulsterman

It wasn't to make it look pretty Dekers. I wanted the 455, and it is/was only available as a thumbhole. Now had I known more about them at the time, then maybe the 452 with a varmint barrel would have been the obvious option. Even then, the stock on the 452 is kiddie size and I'm a tall bloke! I didn't get on with the thumbhole for a variety of reasons, fit and comfort being amongst them. So that was the reason I bought the stock from Boyds for it, and I have to say it transformed the fit and balance of the rifle. As to the colour, it was a straightforward choice of various laminates or plain walnut, all un-chequered for the same price. Current price delivered is about £120.

Now I know you regard your firearms as just "tools", which to a degree, they are, especially for you a pesty. For the rest of us, this is our hobby and there's a proportion of owning something that you like and enjoy using, not just as a functional tool.......well for me anyway. :good:

:good::good: Don't get me wrong, I look after them well, but for me they are simply functional tools that I need to work!

There is always the option of pillar bedding the screw points and glass bedding it if you really want to go to town. I've done it on previous rifle builds but on my own CZ laminate thumbhole stock (which fitted great out of the box BTW) for the HMR it doesn't seem to need it. Though I do use an tension adjustable torque wrench if it's ever out of the stock.

I always have a zero sighter/fouler before hitting the rabbits though, ammunition variations and ambient temperature effects on powder and barrel harmonics between zeros can usually make for a click or two.

:)

Bedding and pillar bedding is a long way to go with a rimfire for most but the stability of the laminate stocks certainly helps. My 527 hornet used to move about a bit in the woodwork around the action and mag well, the pillar bedding has helped a bunch on zero shift and it is far easier to re-assemble again now after a strip down. Even stock compression is helped by the laminate (meaning those screw torque settings remain)

There is always the option of pillar bedding the screw points and glass bedding it if you really want to go to town. I've done it on previous rifle builds but on my own CZ laminate thumbhole stock (which fitted great out of the box BTW) for the HMR it doesn't seem to need it. Though I do use an tension adjustable torque wrench if it's ever out of the stock.

I always have a zero sighter/fouler before hitting the rabbits though, ammunition variations and ambient temperature effects on powder and barrel harmonics between zeros can usually make for a click or two.

:)

Hi what torque do you do up the bolts to. :thanks: