Shotgun stock build

Graham M

All hand tools such as rasps and files, although I do use a power drill for drilling the holes. Did toy with the idea of teardrops on the stock but thought that the slightly rounded effect made it look more flowing. And if the teardrops aren't done properly they do look a bloody mess anyway, so I thought I'd keep it simple and uncluttered.

G.M.

Believe it or not that bit of wood was given to me by a chap who stalked near Grantham.

I usually bought my blanks from a place called Solihull Hardwoods when they were situated near the old Land-Rover works in Lode Lane, but they closed that site and moved to a place in Atherstone.

They used to supply me with blanks of Black American Walnut 900 X 175 X 60 (made two rifle stocks from these) for @ £40. Or Cherry for @ £60.

Then it all went pear-shaped and the prices went stupid and I stopped making them; in fact it became easier (and cheaper) to send off to Boyds for a laminated stock (@ £126 all-in including shipping and import/VAT), or Richards Microfit for a Walnut stock (http://www.rifle-stocks.com/rollover.htm) cheaper than I could buy the flaming blank.

G.M.

Edited by Graham M