Sea Kayak Advice

DrBlox

As I've got more money than sense and is it's my birthday soon, I thought I might take up kayak fishing. I've seen this (the shop's local to me):

http://www.ableisure.com/kayaks1/fishing-package/

As a starter (the rods/reels look pretty **** and I don't really need a pack of 6 lures) - does anyone ITK have an opinion whether this is a good starter?

Seems a good starting point you may want to consider a look at your local sea fishing forum as bargains can often be had .

I would also suggest you budget for a wet/ dry suit (summer/winter) a radio some flares paddle tether life jacket safety knife and optionally a fish finder ( GPS enabled preferably )

Plenty of fish to catch once you have Leart the ropes and it's a good workout paddling out there. Best of luck

If you have done no paddling you will find this easy as it mentions the tracking hull. This means it will hold a straight course better than a kayak designed for mucking about in waves or rivers. It doesn't seem to heavy 20 odd kg so easy to lift on the car. I have messed about in these and they are stable platforms for fishing and swimming from. Personally I prefer my Canadian but it's a lot more bucks.

The beach in Hythe is full of guys fishing from sit on tops I reckon you will have fun.

I have been paddling kayaks and canoes for over 30 years and catching mackerel further out than the blokes can cast is a real buzz. Happy days

If you want to take up Kayak fishing and as you say you have enough money then I would stay well clear of this set up. That yak is more suited for surfing, and is no where near stable enough for Kayak fishing. I would recommend a minimum of 13" or if you are on the larger size then look at 15". The longer the kayak the more stable it will be. I used to use an Ocean Trident 15" and it was a great yak. I then bought a Kaskazi Dorado 11 when I got a bit more confident, but have to admit for a stable yak to use as a fishing platform the Trident was a more suitable tool. Kayak fishing is a great sport but make sure you get some advice from some one in the know or you will end up buying stuff that will not be suitable then have to buy again when you get to know the sport. Get onto some of the Kayak angling forums and I am sure you will find that what I am saying will be confirmed by others who are well in the know when it comes to yaks and kit that you will need. Be safe and enjoy. :good:

If you can't sit and fish off that thing you have no business being out there. I have a surf boat as well as a big ole Canadian for family days. You can't get those sit ons to surf properly and I've tried a few. Summers coming just get out and try a few. There should be places where you can try before you buy or hire one before you spend out.

LWFronRearLeft.jpg

Any fool can fish from the yak you are looking at but what I am saying is that it is too small and will not be stable if you are out and you get a bit of a swell on. The longer yak as my Trident above will suit you either in 13" or even better 15". Please, get yourself onto some of the forums like Anglers Afloat and see what the experts are using, before you spend your money on something that you will change very quickly.

FeelfreeNomadSport002.jpg

The green one above is probably about the size of the one in the kit you are looking at, there is not a lot of room for you to get your kit onto and be comfortable on the swell. I can also say that they will not fair very well if you are anchored off in a fast tide. As I said please get some expert advice from the guys on the forum, if you do seriously want to get into yak fishing, it is an expensive sport and you want to buy once rather than chop and change. Find out when they are having the next meet and go down and blag a go from some of the different yaks before you make your decision.