Vermin War!

turbo33

I have been doing my bit for the small birds round here. I've had 4 magpies in the Larsen trap and 1 with the air rifle :good:

It was all quiet on the Magpie front until this week when 4 turned up :o So I baited the Larsen yeaterday with a breasted wood pigeon :good: Out to check it this morning and Mr Reynard has paid a visit. He got the pigeon in the end, but I've a few repairs to do on the Larsen :/

P5170274_zps826face4.jpg

So the not so great dilemma is, I either deal with the fox and then I can continue war on the Magpies, or don't bait the Larsen and have both :no:

I had a bit of a brain scratch, and came up with this. A couple of not used at the moment, Savic dog cages.

Took the door off one end of one, same on the other. P5170269_zps8b20f900.jpg

Butt the two together.P5170278_zpsa6593ce1.jpg

Using the end section of one, slightly bending the securing clips to form a catch.

P5170272_zps358fb5b6.jpg

P5170273_zps96212104.jpg

Made up a trigger from a bit of round steel,nail would do. Couple of Hog rings left over from the fencing to allow the trigger and cable to slide (strimmer cable).

P5170275_zpsbb0188b3.jpg

P5170277_zps71d11ec8.jpg

Put the two together with a couple of hog rings/wire or cable ties.

P5170278_zpsa6593ce1.jpg

I have another large cage elsewhere at the moment. If this works, I will make a better job with two the same size. Secondhand, they go for peanuts, so could be a useful idea. :yes:

I will bait it up later and see what happens :good:

Edited by turbo33

Well done Marc :good: looks good mate good luck on catching Mr or Mrs fox atb Terry

Thanks Terry :good: TBH, they are a pita round here. I couldn't begin to tell you how many chicken/bantam dinners they have had at mine and the kids expense :no:

Like you with Dyfan, I had a friend of my daughters who is now a gamekeeper. But a few years ago, he asked if he could keep his Old English game bantams in an area of my garden that has little use. Bought him a shed, helped him make up fox proof runs. The blighters came in one night and ripped the boards off the shed ( looked like they had a pry bar and stump grinder :lol: )and wiped out his entire breeding stock. The poor lad had been working on this line for 4 years. He was heartbroken.

So a few less round here won't be a bad thing. Baited up and ready to go :good:

Edited by turbo33